• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

jury duty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Some Random Guy

Jail used to be less common in these cases, but many municipalities are having trouble with jurors not showing up. Therefore more judges have started issuing contempt warrants for no-shows.

It makes for good newspaper stories and they get a lot fewer no-shows in the future.

mjmpheonix

Why bother dodging?

Just go to jury duty! My mother taught me a little trick, one question they almost always ask unerringly (she's been in 3 times and never been picked or invited for a second review) is "do you believe in the justice system?" Just answer hell no! Just spend the hour or two it will take and think about what they don't want to hear, answer that way. Wala, no problems and no jail.

BoredAtty

It's sad that so many people try to avoid jury duty. It doesn't take more than two or three days for most, it's an interesting and informative experience, and it is a civic duty.

fairisfair

Just go to jury duty! My mother taught me a little trick, one question they almost always ask unerringly (she's been in 3 times and never been picked or invited for a second review) is "do you believe in the justice system?" Just answer hell no! Just spend the hour or two it will take and think about what they don't want to hear, answer that way. Wala, no problems and no jail.
we tend to discourage people from giving advice that is legally incorrect and/or perpetrates fraud. Your mother may encourage you to lie (or perhaps in your case, this is the truth??) please do not encourage others to do so here.:mad:

fairisfair

It's sad that so many people try to avoid jury duty. It doesn't take more than two or three days for most, it's an interesting and informative experience, and it is a civic duty.
WHAT??:eek::eek: you mean we should actually participate in the legal system?? can't we just sit back and biatch about it instead?????;)

>Charlotte<

Lurker
DONNA: The trick, obviously, is appearing unsuitable not just for this, but for any jury while avoiding a contempt citation. So wouldn’t you think if I just explain to them that my boss is a lawyer, my lawyer’s a lawyer, and I’m dating a lawyer, that that ought to...

JOSH: It’s jury duty. It’s not an appendectomy. It’s just jury duty. Do it, don’t do it, but if you don’t do it, you don’t get to complain about the O.J. verdict.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">