• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

jury duty prosecution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HUNGJUROR

I am in deep doo doo...

About a year ago I received a summons to appear for jury duty. I called to request that it be postponed per the instructions on the letter. The court clerck was very ammenable and told me that my request was granted and I could expect a new notification for a new date.

The matter never crossed my mind again though, and yesterday I received a Summons to be arraigned on a criminal complaint for deliquent juror status. I checked the website for the Office of the Jury Commisioner in Massachussetts and found that such proceedings (usually) have one of three outcomes.....
"1) accept evidence of disqualification; (2) allow the juror to serve and present evidence of completion of service within a specific time, or; (3) accept a plea of not guilty and schedule the case for a pretrial conference."

I am not ineligable, and have no aversion to serving(if thats all it takes to make it go away), so how do I avoid option 3 and prevent a trial?, the information provided does not specify whether I can be fined or arrested at the hearing (only that those are the consequences of NOT appearing).
My only excuse is that I never recived any subsequent mailings/notices(for which I have no solid explanation-I received my other mail at the sam addresses as the current summons??) and even I dont think that will hold any weight to a judge that proBably hears that 20 times a day....

I truly am a law abiding (if absent-minded) citizen that wants to (make this go away) by doing the right thing....PLEASE HELP!

------------------
:)

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Your best bet...go talk to a criminal law attorney who has cases at that courthouse? Why? Because odds are he knows the judges, friendly with them? So? So, he can "talk" to a judge and see what favors he can pull.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">