• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just dating underage partner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MrHong

What is the name of your state? California

Can you please tell me if it is okay to date someone who is under 18 if the other person is much older (say 30)?

This would just include kissing, holding hands, etc. No sexual contact. Could the parents legally block this sort of activity?

Thank you.

Mr. Hong

D

Doubting Thomas

It depends on HOW much younger than 18.
If the kid is 14 STOP now.
If the kid is 15 STOP and call a local lawyer.

also - kissing "IS" sexual contact if it is a "DATING" relationship and it could count as "indecent sexual assault on a child" IF the age is wrong.

M

MrHong

He is a male aged 16, she is a female aged 36

What do you think?

M

MrHong

I am the father of the boy and was wondering. They seem to genuinely care for one another, but wondered if it is even legal. If it got too far, could I stop it?

Mr. Hong

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
For the record, I am not an attorney and I am not a parent. I am, however, a former schoolteacher and still do some volunteer work with teens.

In my layman's opinion, you can and should put a halt to it. There is something wrong with a 36 year old woman who wants to date a 16 year old boy. The fact that they claim not to be having sex is immaterial - it does not have to be a sexual relationship to be inappropriate. Whether it is "legal" or not also does not matter; if you, as his parent, are uncomfortable with it (and you should be!) you do not have to permit it. He is a minor; he is living with you (I assume); he is under your control. He is not old enough to understand the kinds of trouble he could be getting himself into. (Remember Pam Smart?) This is not a healthy relationship and you are OBLIGATED to protect your son.

Others are free to disagree but that's my opinion.

F

finally legal

this is very much against the law and there is something very WRONG with a 36 year old dating a 16 year old, i have a 16 and 17 year old sons and i would be the first one in line to prosucute anyone that was preying on my child and that is exactley what this woman is doing, have you not questioned why this woman is not or cannot find a man her own age to date, maybe they are telling you there's no sexual contact but as it has already been said ''kissing'' is sexual contact and i would imagine there is more than that going on and you just don't know about it, bottum line this is your CHILD you are in control of his life at 16 and if you allow this to continue, you are just as quilty as she is for allowing her to violate the rights of your child. put a stop to it and advise your local law agency that there is a child molester around they should arrest.

D

Doubting Thomas

Sick but probably legal

Just to be clear: Although a 36 (!!!) year old woman is "dating" a 16 year old BOY - this does not make her a "child molster" in MOST jurisdictions. I am a lawyer in Massachusettes and I don't know all of the "statutory rape" laws in other states BUT here, this "relationship" would be perfectly legal. A 16 year old in many if not most States CAN consent to sex.

BUT - if this "relationship" - even if it is or WAS ONLY kissing began BEFORE the kid's "sweet sixteen" birthday the woman in the picture can be criminally prosecuted, at least in Massachusetts and that's regardless of whether the kid or his family wants her to be... Here the saying goes - "15 will get you thirty." Actually, it CAN get you life.

But if this were MY son I'd put a stop to it regadless of it's technical "legality." There's a lot of legal activities that are wrong, wrong, wrong! The 36 year old is clearly a sicko - makes you wonder what else besides, in all liklihood SEX - she is introducing him to?

M

MSWCCC

Stop the relationship. Period. She is a grown woman, he is a child. If they were 50 and 70, well, they are both in the advanced stages of life. Right now they are so far apart something is up. So stop them before you find your grandchild has a mom the same age as his/her grandparents (as has happened in my family and two of my cousins are not comfortable calling a woman Mom who is older than our grandparents when the relationships are a supposed to be a generation apart-our grandparents regret not stepping in).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">