• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was it just a suicide?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rjjordan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
My uncle recently committed suicide. Two days after his death his wife told family memebers that she watched him do it. She waited to call any one until he was dead, and then called my grandmother and told her that he was "hanging in my backyard", without any panic or fear. When she was asked if she had called 911 yet she simply stated no. She also proceeded to say that the week leading up to his death he had made several remarks and several attempts to end his life, but she failed to inform anyone of those incidents. Now she has stated that she is incompetant and that is why she delayed all the information. Is this a legal case or just simply another suicide????:confused: :mad: :confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

outonbail

I'm sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately, as disturbing as this tragedy is, there is really no way we can make a call in a situation like this, You really need to take it up with the local authorities.

They will be able to look into the entire situation involving their relationship, their domestic history (if any) motivation, mental health issues and so on. The only thing you can do is provide them with whatever information you have and let them determine if a crime has been committed or not.

Even if there was some degree of criminal culpability, this doesn't mean it will be a case they can bring to trial and realize a successful conviction.

There's way too many possibilities and variables.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss, I'm sure it is a very emotionally draining and frustrating position to find yourself in.

My only suggestion is be patient and try not to jump to any conclusions until all the facts have had a chance to surface,,,,,

xylene

Is this a legal case or just simply another suicide????:confused: :mad: :confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What do you mean by "legal case"?

While there may be other factors factors as outonbail mentioned, failing to act to prevent a suicide is not by itself criminal.

rjjordan

By legal case I mean can we file some kind of charges. My uncle had bruises under his arms, he called my other uncle 10 minutes before and stated that his wifes brother and son were on their way to beat the snot out of him. As well as the fact that her ex husband said he was going to kill my uncle just days before. Not to mention the fact that this is out of character for my uncle. I am a crisis counselor, and what we typically see is the person saying goodbye or getting closure. Such as telling everyone they love them and selling off their personal property, or even leaving a note. None of that was done and mu uncle had plans to celebrate the holiday with his daughter and her family. And the wife kees changing her story as how it happened and what went on before it happened. Then there is the issue of her not helping with the funeral bill, showing up late to the funeral, not showing any kind of sorrow at all, and of course packing up her house and moving before we even layed him to rest.:confused::confused::confused::(:(:(

xylene

Then there is the issue of her not helping with the funeral bill,
Perhaps the funeral arrangements were not what see wanted. I can only speculate. Grieving people make erratic choices.

showing up late to the funeral,
I find that very unsurprising.

[/QUOTE]not showing any kind of sorrow at all, and of course packing up her house and moving before we even layed him to rest.:confused::confused::confused::(:(:([/QUOTE]

I get the impression you and your family have had trouble with wife for some time.

I think you need to find a way to bring closure.

outonbail

This is why I said you have to bring whatever evidence or suspicion you have to the local authorities. From reading your post, you have all but come right out and said that his wife's family may have murdered him.

If there were death threats just prior to this unfortunate incident, were they reported?

Has there been an autopsy?

Your being a counselor tells me you should realize that you have too much of an emotional connection to the situation to be able to review all pertinent facts with an open mind.

You need to let the proper authorities handle the investigation and you need to step back and take a breather.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">