• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

juvenile pre-hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vsccalde

What is the name of your state? New Mexico
My 10 and 13 year old boys, and us, his parents have been ordered to appear in Dept of Family Services for a pre-hearing concerning charges of aggravated assault. The elementary school interrogated my 10 year old and 8 year old, asking if they threatened or shot a neighbor boy after school one day. The weapon was a spring action plastic bb gun.

My 8 year old said yes. So the school got in touch with their Dad and he said he will the toy gun from the child for a week. The school filed with that state about this afterschool neighborhood incident with the juvenile court.

There has been trouble with the school over the boys for non-compliance of homework, not attending after school functions, not taking the children to psychiatrist etc.

Should we ask for a public defender for the child at this meeting??? They threaten in the letter that this JPPO can forward the charges to the DA if we fail to appear. The child also has the right to an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">