• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juvenile Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Boys_Moma

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma, Someone said my two older boys shot him with a BB Gun.They are 14 yr and 16yr old. They do no own a BB gun, they own a plastic gun that shots plastic little things that look like BB's.
The police came to where my oldest son was and accused him of it and when he told it wasn't him, then the officer asked who had been with him, he told his bother then the police said it was him them,He toldmy son noone who get into trouble if they talked or he got the gun. He gave him his bother plastic gun, but he didn't not get it out of the car.Since he accused my one son of doing it and then changed to my other son, there was no adult present and he didn't read him his right, can they use anything he said or the gun agaist them, We got a letter saying the DA was filing Delinguent Petition againt both of them.What are there right?

C

CaliCat

I don't know about OK, but the cop should have asked if they wanted a parent present. If the cop did not read them their Miranda rights, then the conversation cannot be used against them I believe. They are supposed to be given notice (hence the rights reading) that anything they say can be used against them in court, and that they do not have to talk at all. But my main concern is the cop not asking if they wanted a parent there, or even talking to you first before talking to the boys.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">