• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juvenile sentencing and conflict of interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

data1

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania.
My son was arrested for stealing a car with some friends. He did it and doesn't contest the charges. The car was totaled (hit by truck; not the boys' fault but irrelevant). Anyway, when it came time for sentencing, we were told the judge follows the recommendation of the Juvenile Probation department. The probation officer was related to the victim (the person whose car was stolen) and he recommended reimbursement at full book value of the car in mint condition (the car was old and in poor condition prior to the wreck). The judge awarded the full amount (actual value if the car was appraised would probably be 1/4 what was awarded). The judge did not know the probation officer who made the recommendation was a relation of the victim; now the victim unduly profits from the boys' (admittedly stupid) mistake and the victim being related to the probation officer. Isn't this a blatant conflict of interest by the probation officer? Is there any state ethical board or other authority I can request investigate and hold the probation officer accountable for ethical, perhaps legal, misconduct?

N

niki8

was your son a jv at the time? was he the guy behind the wheel? does he have a record? should you (he) just pay the fine and be happy that no one died?

calatty

Whatever the probation officer recommended, the juvenile had a right to contest it. He could have brought in evidence that the car was worth less. Then it would have been up to the judge to decide what it was actually worth. If he didn't contest it, he can't complain now.

D

data1

Justice?

Yes, we're thrilled no one is hurt. Yes, my son is paying fines, restitution, community service, and getting counseling (among other penalties). Yes, we brought evidence that the car was worth less (Blue Book). Even the victim brought a quote from a local garage saying the car was worth $1000 less than the probation officer recommended (still $2000 more than what we believe the vehicle was worth...); we believe the victim brought this quote fearing they'd get the actual value and wanted more. The judge ignored all of this and awarded solely on the probation officer's (who was related to the victim) recommendation.

Bottom line, we're glad no one was hurt. We want to see the victim fairly compensated. But we're sorry that my son was taken advantage of in an unethical manner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">