• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

juvenile "stalked" actor -- is it cleared from record??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SaraL

What is the name of your state? Texas

In high school, my son was involved in a "stupid dare" prank. He was 17 at the time.

He went to Los Angeles CA to get an actor's autograph at his home. The actor's wife called the police and we were told a police report had been filed for "stalking"/ trespassing. However, no charges were filed, we have not heard anything more, and he has never been in any kind of trouble again.

He is now 23, are these records visible to the public? Should I have them sealed? Does it have to be reported on job applications/ grad school applications?

Charges were never filed, but I was told it would be on his police record. I don't know what that means in terms of automatically -sealed juvenile records. He was 17 at the time.

HomeGuru

SaraL said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

In high school, my son was involved in a "stupid dare" prank. He was 17 at the time.

He went to Los Angeles CA to get an actor's autograph at his home. The actor's wife called the police and we were told a police report had been filed for "stalking"/ trespassing. However, no charges were filed, we have not heard anything more, and he has never been in any kind of trouble again.

He is now 23, are these records visible to the public? Should I have them sealed? Does it have to be reported on job applications/ grad school applications?

Charges were never filed, but I was told it would be on his police record. I don't know what that means in terms of automatically -sealed juvenile records. He was 17 at the time.
**A: I dare you to call the court and inquire.

S

SaraL

Please help us. Its the sort of thing I don't want people to start talking about again, esp since several of my friends work at the courthouse and the pd. It was very embarrassing to my family when it was blown way out of proportion.

Not that it was in any way justified. My son has not spoken about it for years until a few days ago. He is applying for a graduate position at UT and was concerned about reporting it/ a background search. I don't know what to say. I've looked up the law in Texas but it is hard to understand whether he can completely put this incident behind him, since he was already 17 when it happened, and a police report was filed (but no charges were filed). I know you might think otherwise but he is a sweet, smart kid who did a very dumb and immature stunt in high school.

Sara

JETX

"are these records visible to the public?"
*** The police report is available, but someone would have to request it. It can't just be 'found' as the police records are not something that the public can just peruse at their convenience.

"Should I have them sealed?"
*** What is 'them'??? This implies more than just a police report. Was your son arrested and/or charged with any crime??

"Does it have to be reported on job applications/ grad school applications?"
*** If it is just a report no. However, if charged or arrested, possibly, depending on the actual question asked on the application.

"Charges were never filed, but I was told it would be on his police record."
*** Again, was he arrested or cited with ANY crime or act??

S

SaraL

He never appeared in court or had a fine imposed or anything like that. When I spoke with an officer they said my son was lucky that the family had filed the report but "wasn't going to press any charges." The police report was for trespassing and stalking, I believe. It may have only been for trespassing. They also "made note" of an alias he was using.

I've been looking at some of the internet background search engines, but they all seem to list criminal records by charge and case number and the court where the case was tried. But he never went to court. So I don't know if it would appear on something like lexis nexis.

Can I have a police report sealed if the incident took place when he was 17? Or is it automatically sealed as a "juvenile record"?
Can people, universities, employers, etc. look up police records on the internet?

thank you so much for your help

S

SaraL

I spoke to the police afterwards. He never met with any police officers.

E

EnemyToTheState

A police report is pretty much just that - an official record that the police were notified of a particular event and their subsequent investigation of the claim. No big whoop.... although it may be used as evidence in the courts -- which obviously did not take place. However, if you son conitnues with the 'stalking', the report will show that he has a history of said offense.

Since no charges were filed, I really don't see what you are looking to accomplish. It would seem that you are only trying to erase the fact that the police were notified of said event. Is this correct?

Also, it should be known that I am Joe Public and have no qualifying expertise in matters of law.

S

SaraL

yes, essentially I'm concerned that someone could look this information up somewhere and he could lose his job, student loan or be rejected from a grad position

I guess I'm not sure if a police report can be sealed the same way juvenile records are sealed. That is, can he legally deny that he has a police report the same way he would have been able to deny a criminal/ court record?
Can a police report be sealed if the incident took place when he was 17?
Can the public look up this police report?

JETX

"I guess I'm not sure if a police report can be sealed the same way juvenile records are sealed."
*** No.

"That is, can he legally deny that he has a police report the same way he would have been able to deny a criminal/ court record?"
*** When was the last time YOU were asked during any kind of interview, "Have you ever had a police report filed on you?".
Simply, that will NEVER happen. He may be asked about being arrested or convicted, and his correct answer (based on your post) would be no.

"Can a police report be sealed if the incident took place when he was 17?"
*** No.

"Can the public look up this police report?"
*** Already asked and answered. No.

Beth3

Mom, you're worrying over nothing. No, your son is not going to lose a scholarship, job, be rejected from a college, or anything else. He wasn't cited or even charged with a crime. When he's filing out applications for schools or jobs, they're only going to ask whether he's ever been convicted of a crime - to which the answer is a resounding "NO."

When my brother was a teen, the cops showed up with him in tow at our parent's house on more than one occasion because he'd engaged in some stupid mischief and someone had complained - and he doesn't have a police record either. Put this entirely out of your mind. NOBODY is going to see those records or go looking for them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">