• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juveniles unfairly charged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

maricos

What is the name of your state?
New Jersey

My two sons (both under 16) were with two friends when the two friends committed acts of vandalism. The entered a school and damaged property. My sons did not participate in any of this but they did see some of what the other two did - not all because the other two had entered a building. While it was going one son called a friend from his cellphone and told her that the other two were doing it and they were idiots but there was nothing he could do to stop them. Now all four of them have been charged with the same crimes. There is no evidence to link my sons to any of the activity that occurred in the building and the police acknowledge that they were not in there. However, they are saying that they are equally guilty. I am very upset about this because my sons did not get caught up in this and yet they are being treated as if they also did it. What are the odds of getting these charges against them dismissed? Would the testimony of the person my son spoke to on his cellphone help. She knows all of them and is equally friendly with all of them. She would have no reason to lie for my sons against the other two boys.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Bullcrap. You've been fed a line of bullcrap.

When in your life have you ever known two teenagers just stand around and watch, while two other teenagers were having "fun".

Your kids are guilty, and they're both going down. Tell them never to drop the soap.

IAAL

C

Cantthinkofone

While I think they will still get in trouble for what happened, the judge could be a little less harsh on them if the police say that your two kids were not in there. I'm also sure that their friends will say that they were not inside either. Thats just my opinion, whether or not that will actually happen I dont know, but it just seems logical.

As far as the cellphone call, that probably wont help because they could just say that he called her while he was inside or even after he left the building.

Again, just my opinion.

M

maricos

Thank you for your intelligent response

I believe that one friend has already told the police my sons were not in the building. There is also no physical evidence that they were in the building - I believe there are footprints and fingerprints of the other two. One of the police officers also said to me that they know my sons were not in the building. As far as the cell phone call goes I thought it might be significant in as far as my son told her what the other two were doing and that they were behaving like idiots - would that not indicate that he was not acting in concert with them? I know just the fact that he was on the phone with her didn't mean anything. (I may have mentioned this before - the person he was speaking to knows all four of them - she has no reason to lie for my son at the expense of the other two). Once again, thanks for feedback.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">