• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Knife laws?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chemicalpaper

In Ohio, what are the rules (for minors and adults) on sheathed non retractable knives being concealed on public property as well as schools and restaurants/stores?

My knife lengths vary between 2 and 8 inch blades.

justalayman

Apparently the state law on carrying knives is a big ambiguous. You cannot carry a concealed deadly weapon. The problem is apparently each city has codified what is considered a deadly weapon so you should speak to the local police or an attorney familiar with your city ordinances. If you care to reveal your city (be cautious of losing your anonymity on the Internet) I or somebody else may be able to find your cities ordinances.

The site i read stated folding knives and short fixed knives are considered tools but figuring out how long a knife can be before that tool becomes a weapon is based in local law.

chemicalpaper

I see, my city is Youngstown. Do you know if different rules apply to minors and adults? I like my 14 and 15 year old sons to carry small knives for self defense.

Proserpina

I see, my city is Youngstown. Do you know if different rules apply to minors and adults? I like my 14 and 15 year old sons to carry small knives for self defense.
And exactly how often and under what circumstances would your sons need to defend themselves with knives?

justalayman

Without even looking I can say, with a fair amount of confidence, any knife carried for self defense would be considered a concealed weapon. You seem to be missing what I said about why some knives are allowed while others aren't.

A knife carried for defense is being considered a weapon and as such, illegal to carry concealed and even if allowed to be carried exposed, foolish to do so.

justalayman

(A) "Deadly weapon" means any instrument, device, or thing capable of inflicting death, and designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon, or possessed, carried, or used as a weapon

A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person's person or concealed ready at hand, any of the following:

(1) A deadly weapon other than a handgun;

That is the state law speaking to the matter. It appears Youngstown has repealed their ordinance on the matter so...

Real simple; it is illegal to carry a device considered a deadly weapon concealed...PERIOD.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">