• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

knock and annouce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

justcallmepauly

i was with my friend at my parents warehouse, and we had just got done smoking a joint. Keep in mind that this is after hours. The back door was closed, but not locked. Then the door opened and a cop came in and steped 2 feet onto my property. He didnt knock, he just walked. He asked us what we were doing there, and i said i had to come by here and pick something up. Then he asked what is the smell, I said ciggerettes. he then told us to come outside. We didnt have anything on us, because we left itside the warehouse. My moms cadillac escalde was parked outside. I asked what was the reason for opening my door. He said he saw a suspicious vehicle (A brand new cadi) since when has that kind car a suspicois vehicle, so he opened the door and came in. But only then did he smell the pot. We were both charged and taking to jail. My question is doesnt the cop have to knock before entering, cause he walked in like he owned the place.

B

bellestar

Of coarse he does not have to knock. If a car was parked there after hours, whether it is a brand new caddy or what ever. Its after hours. It could have been a stolen and robbers could have been in there for all he knew, and as for knocking. say it was robbers, armed robbers, if a cops knocks before he enters he is setting himself up, that was a rediculas question. Now if it was your house thats different. But he was probley patroling the area and saw something suspicious going on and investigated it. and no he did not find a robber but a couple of pot heads. It doesnt matter if it was your moms place or not. you had no rights being there doing drugs. Drugs are against the law and i think that officer needs to be reconized and commended for his good work. Dont you get mad because you got caught, Be happy you have a good law enforcement in the neighbor hood....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">