• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Larceny or what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Daddys_Woo

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I was working for this company as a part time employee, but then they decided that they did not want me to work for them anymore. I had originally gotten a trascription machine from them that total $975.00 and had taken out insurance of my own to insure the work and the machine. I started the job in June or July of this year and then in August, they decided they did not want me to work for them anymore. They asked that I return the machine. I have to say that I was very laxed in returning the machine and now they have filed criminal charges. I can't say that I blame them, I was at fault. I did sign an agreement stating that I would return their property at the end of my employment with them. I returned the equipment in October but we have a November 25th court date. What will happen to me? Is this theft, larceny or what? What is the worst that could happen? I have a signed receipt showing that it was returned and who signed for it. Should I call them or consider it a dead case and just go to court? Do I need a lawyer?

JETX

It is impossible for anyone to 'foretell' what might happen to you since we have no knowledge of the full and detailed facts of the case. However, the fact that you did return the property should go a long way to convince the court to allow some leeway.

You must understand though, that simply returning the 'stolen' property does not 'undo' a crime (if one did in fact occur). For example, a bank robber can't just return the money when caught and say, "Ollie, Ollie, Oxen free. No harm, no foul."

D

Daddys_Woo

Thanks so much. I do realize that it will undo the crime, I just wanted to know if you thought I would need a lawyer or should I go and just tell them that it was my fault (which it was) that I did not return the property and just face the consequences. I wanted to call them but in fear they would hang up on me, I decided not to.

But thanks for the information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">