• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawrat and Anyone who can give me advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Angel_1

Lawrat and Anyone who can give advice

My 20 year old daughter was detained for shoplifting, but never arrested. The value was about 30 dollars. The police were never called. She has now recieved a bill for 300 dollars from the department store! This is in violation of penal code 490.5. I have read this section of the code and do not understand how she can be charged such an amount.
My questions are:
*1 Does she have to pay this amount? Do you know what happens if she does not?
*2 If she does pay does this go on her credit report or any other record? Another words, can anyone ever find about this (the public, employers, creditors...)?
*3 By paying, is this an admission of guilt that would allow cops/company to later press charges?

WE LIVE IN CALIFORNIA

Thank you for any help to these questions

[Edited by angel_1 on 12-05-2000 at 03:41 AM]

HomeGuru

It appears that you are confusing the remedies of the State with that of the store. The store does not enforce the penal code or act as criminal prosecutor. That's the job of the State. The store can seek damages and if I was the owner of the store I would ask for $1000. Why? Because my store manager and several employees had to stop what they were doing (stocking, servicing customers etc.) to deal with this criminal. Wasting valuable time.
What is it worth to your daughter to not be arrested and have a police report?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">