• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer client relantionship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lunablue

What is the name of your state? Texas
I had a free consultation with a lawyer regarding a criminal case. In order for him to give me an opinion on what I could do, I explained the situation completely. However, he kept asking for especific information as my name, date of birth, names of places, people and companies involved. He reassured me that all will be kept confidential, but I'm very worried that he may disclose this information. At the end of the meeting I agreed to return to him if needed. Since the consultation was free, I did not pay anything and nothing was signed as far as representation agreement. I'm not his client. My question is. Will he use my information?
I will appreciate your input on this.

garrula lingua

What does this mean ?
I'm not his client
There is an attorney-client privilege, which doesn't depend on whether the atty was paid.
That old trick of giving a lawyer a dollar saying there is now an atty/client relationship is not correct - the relationship (& privilege) can exist without payment (though it may be harder to prove).
Is the atty ethical ? who knows ?
Can he disclose this info ? He has an ethical obligation to honor the atty-client privilege & can be disciplined for disclosing info subject to confidentiality.
Will he do it, anyway ? who knows ?

Is the info regarding a future crime ?

Did he give any/good advice ? Did you like him enough to hire him ? Do you need him ?
Hire him, on a limited basis, to ensure there is no confusion about the atty-client relationship having been established in both your minds.

lunablue

What I mean when I say "I'm not his client" is because I only had a free consultation with him and told him that I would go back when ever the authorities contacted me.

this is not about a future crime but a crime that may be discovered soon. Therefore my need to consult an attorney about what my happen and what I need to know to be prepared.
As I said my meeting with him was ok until he started to ask more and more specific questions. I really did not like that at all an felt very vulnerable. I should have not answered but felt that if I did not answer they will not want to give me advice. I did not like the person and I don't think I'll go back to him when I need a attorney.
I did get some information about what may happen in the future but he could not tell me what to do at this time.
I had heard about paying them a couple of dollars to ensure confedintiality but did not do it. ( had no change on me).
I'm I still at his mercy? what are the chances of an attorney being disciplined for disclosing information?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">