• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer consultation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SLE14826

Is it common practice for a lawyer to give a free consultation? I would like to sit down and explain my son's situation to someone who is versed in the law to determine if there is anything that we can do above and beyond what was done to begin with. We want to determine if we should hire a lawyer to appeal what has already done. I need someone to actually listen to the whole situation. Someone who can tell me whether there's something we can do, or just wasting my time.

Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

tranquility

While it happens enough to be "common", it does not happen when talking about someone else. Get son to talk. You should step out.

FlyingRon

It varies from area to area (and area of practice). Sometimes you can get a deal for a free or reduced initial consultation if you contact the local county bar association office for the referral. Your other option is to just call around and make inquiries. Some lawyers will talk to you over the phone to give you an inclination as to whether to engage them, others won't. There is however, a lot of reticence on things like criminal matters to get into any detail while charges are PENDING before getting officially in the attorney-client mode (but from the vague tone of your voice, it sounds like you're beyond that issue).

SLE14826

thank you

Unfortunately, tranquility, I can not bow out. My son isn't able to comprehend what he's being told. But thank you for answering anyway.

Thanks for the other responses also.

tranquility

Then pay for your legal services.

We don't like to give advice to third parties here in a casual situation for a number of reasons. No attorney in any discipline will waste their time getting things from a second-hand source for free.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">