• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

?lawyer keep secrets of criminal activity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jsw26232

illinois, If I hire a lawyer to protect my interests and confide in that lawyer of family member's criminal activity, is that lawyer bound to report it to the authorities?:confused:

stephenk

whatever you tell an attorney in confidence, he is duty bound not to reveal that information unless you give him permission.

I have a question that may or may not apply. I hope Stephen or someone else can answer this...

I understand that with the changes in laws since 9/11/01, there are a host of Federal offenses that release the attorney from that part of the attorney/client privilege pact. My understanding is that almost anything that can be charged under 'Issues of National Security' would qualify.

If this is correct, than I guess the answer would be "as long as the family member's criminal activity is not a potential issue of national security"?

stephenk

My understanding of the new federal legislation is that it does not prevent government eavesdropping on attorney conversations with their clients when the clients are in jail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">