• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this Legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Quasarmoon

TEXAS

I work for a private security company and one of our clients is a jewelry manufacturer. Due to recent thefts across the USA our client wants us to follow the UPS truck from the warehouse to the UPS main dock. Armed. In uniform. I have a problem with this because sometimes the UPS driver stops at other locations enroute and I'm not sure what I can do legally if something happens enroute to the UPS station. Can I stop an attempted robbery even if I'm not sure if the perps are not trying steal my clients shipment?

S

seniorjudge

Excellent question.

If I were in your shoes, I would want to know that answer from my employer's liability insurance carrier AND my employer's attorneys (who should be experts in criminal defense work).

You are wise to ask this in advance....

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Quasarmoon said:
TEXAS

I work for a private security company and one of our clients is a jewelry manufacturer. Due to recent thefts across the USA our client wants us to follow the UPS truck from the warehouse to the UPS main dock. Armed. In uniform. I have a problem with this because sometimes the UPS driver stops at other locations enroute and I'm not sure what I can do legally if something happens enroute to the UPS station. Can I stop an attempted robbery even if I'm not sure if the perps are not trying steal my clients shipment?

My response:

Now, isn't it stupid of your client to hand over gems to a UPS driver in the first place? Wouldn't it be safer for him to hire you, or an armored truck, to take the gems directly to the UPS depot?

IAAL

S

seniorjudge

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like we have not heard all the facts here? :confused:

I gotta give it to IAAL on this one. Damn man's smart. They're already paying to have you follow UPS. Why not simply have you take the shipment directly?

Quasarmoon

Legal?

Yes it would make sense to hire us or an armored service but unfortunately this client does'nt operate on common sense. I would ask our company attorney's but at the present time our CEO is in hot water and facing 10 years in prison. So there a little busy and I'm searching for another job. I've sent anonymous emails to the Sheriff,DPS and City Police Depts. But have received no response. Thanks for the replies I guess I will knock on the DA's door and see what they say.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">