• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nohelp

What is the name of your state? Texas
My son's court appointed lawyer did not advise my son correctly.
He is serving time for a crime he did not do. How can he correct this unjustice that was done. I had hired a personal lawyer who let the case build up until I could finish paying him. Then stated that he could no longer help him now. I had paid the lawyer $1500 and was still paying, but not fast enough for the lawyer. My son had to ask for a court appointed lawyer. I contacted the court appointed lawyer to help all I could and he was not hearing me. My son was sentence to 30 years. What can we do?

JETX

What was he charged with??
What was he convicted of??
Why do you think he is innocent (be specific with FACTS, not emotions)??
What 'advice' do you think the attorney gave in error??
Why do you feel he got 'ineffective counsel'??

JETX

Yeh, but it could be interesting.... or I might just have opened a REAL Pandora's box by even asking......

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Top 10 Things You Can Do If Your Son is Sentenced to 30 Years - -

NUMBER 10: Meet with advisors to settle on prison nickname.

NUMBER 9: Place hacksaw in chocolate cake.

NUMBER 8: Ask if Prisoners allowed one threatening phone call a week.

NUMBER 7: Ask if he can have a new trial. His fingers were crossed.

NUMBER 6: Yell at him for following in his father's footsteps.

NUMBER 5: When he gets out in 30 years, there won't be any more pick-up trucks!

NUMBER 4: Your son was overheard saying, "If Mike Tyson were here in prison I'd beat him senseless."

NUMBER 3: Help his appeal attorney by reciting Latin phrases.

NUMBER 2: Your son is in federal prison for gluing a giant wig and fake nose onto the head of the Lincoln Memorial.

AND, the NUMBER ONE Thing You Can Do If Your Son is Sentenced to 30 Years - -

Hire a beautiful, buxom, scantily dressed maid to clean his cell each week.

Last edited:

JETX

"Can you hear me now??"
"Can you hear me now??"
"Can you hear me now??"
"Can you hear me now??"

N

nohelp

nohelp:Texas
The charge was allege sexually assault on a child. Also the conviction was sexual assault. There was no evidense only hear say.
Misrepusentation is what I think. He advised me and my son that he should cop a plea in the middle of the trial. If not then me and my husband would go to jail and he may get the maximum sentence. My son later told me that the lawyer had him to sign a lot of paper he didn't understand. I don't have a copy of the transcript. My husband is trying to get that so we can see what went on. They didn't allow us in the court room.

I had told the lawyer that the childs mother was wanting revenge and use my son for revenge. A day after she call to warn me the police came and took my 7 year old from school. Then a few days later they came by for my son. I told them he did't stay with me. They told me he should contact them and later I could get out on bond. That did't happen.

N

nohelp

HALKET, I could not respond back as quickly you guys could. I wanted to get my husband to help me answer. Since he is here with me and know more about what the charges were.

Sorry for the delay :(

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Yes, because your post makes no sense.

All of a sudden, you were talking about a plea agreement for your son, and then, you switched gears by saying that if he didn't accept the plea, you and your husband would go to jail.

What the heck is that all about?

What's your involvement?

What's the whole story?

Don't just skip around with new subjects.

IAAL

N

nohelp

I was trying to make a long story short. The story is that my cousin-in-law and her 4 children stayed with us (June, July, August. She had 1 girl (9) and 3 sons (13,14,18.) My son stayed with his girlfriend. Me, my husband and our daughter (7) let her stay to get on her feet. During that time me and her didn't get alone, so she move out. I let her know to pay me something for the utilities and she could have her furniture back that was in my garage. She call me one day and theaten that if I didn't give her the furniture back that I would be sorry. After that all hell broke out. They picked my little girl up from school and my son was served few days later. The CPS called me the same day my little girl was taken to tell me its because of sexual abuse and that I need to meet with her. The police came for my son the told that they are charging my son for the allege sexual assult of the little girl thats my cousin-in-law.
The lawyer told me that the prosecuter was going to bring charges on me and my husband also if we pursue with the trial. He also told me that I need to send word by him to tell my son to do this. He stated that no one can beat these kind of charges.

HomeGuru

I'm more confused now than I was after reading the initial post. No wonder the hired AND court appointed lawyer could not help. They most likely were even more confused.
Was not the subject of the thread the son's alleged crime? Then how come the parents would go to jail?
Are one of the parents already in jail?
There is way more to this story and I'm sure the transpired events would make a good soap opera.
So I'll leave to watch reruns of All My Children.

N

nohelp

I see that misbelief is what I'm hearing. I don't blame you. I was taken for ride by a lot what I did't understand. I never had this kind of trouble and sought legal help. My son is innocent and God knows this and I pray that I will get the help that I seek for him. I may not be explaining everything to your expertise, but this what happen. The first lawyer had told me that the faster I pay him my son could get off sooner.

This may seem like a soap opera, but this is our lives.

JETX

You are misinterpreting misbelieve for confusion. Your post is very confusing and convoluted in who did what to whom and when. We fully understand that you have intimate knowledge of the facts.... but we don't. And this leaves your post confusing.

For example, you said, "The lawyer told me that the prosecuter was going to bring charges on me and my husband also if we pursue with the trial."
This flat-out makes no sense at all. If your son is facing the charges, what 'charges' were you threatened with?? And by whom (certainly not the attorney representing your son!!)?? And if you pursue what trial?? Your sons??
So, did your son have a trial or not?? If not, then are you trying to tell us that he pled guilty and got 30 years for a charge he didn't do and with NO evidence against him??? None of this makes any sense.

Further, you said, "He advised me and my son that he should cop a plea in the middle of the trial."
Since your son is an adult, 'he' (the attorney??) didn't advise you of anything. He very probably advised your son to consider an offered plea bargain (or may even have tried to negotiate one for him if the DA was not offering). This is NOT unusual if the attorney feels that the case is lost or losing.

Finally, evidence. There had to be SOME type of evidence to support the claims being made. The prosecutor certainly wouldn't proceed with a trial without some belief that he will get a conviction.... or at least have evidence to support the charge. And if no evidence, why the guilty plea (if that is what happened)??

Simply, too confusing for anyone to do anything with without sufficient information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">