• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

panasonic1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I was assaulted 2 nights ago. I was able to leave physically unharmed (just a bit shaky). I want to know if I should press charges against this woman or can I just document the incident and move on? I will definitely take some type of action as far as reporting this incident because she has been harassing me non-stop via text messages. I haven't received any more text messages since last night but I want to make sure I cover my bases. I do know that she has found out the location of my place of employment.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Once you file a report, that is not your decision to make. If the state believes a crime was committed and that they can prove their case, they will file charges against the offender. They will not ask your permission.

CdwJava

The police do not tend to appreciate being a service to "document" an incident. if you want to document it, take your own pictures, write out your own recollection of events, and seal it in an envelope, don't waste the time of the police. If you want prosecution, call the cops.

As you were told, once you report it to the police you have no say what happens. they might send it to the DA who might decide to file.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">