• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal aspects of accepting recourse.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thomaswelsh

What is the name of your state? Kansas

My roomate and I are involved in a dispute involving a check he stole from me. If I accept payment form him equal to the amount he stole, will that limit my ability to take future legal action agaisnt him? I'm talking to my landlord now about breaking my lease, and it appears that unless I press actual charges against my roomate they will be unwilling to break the lease. (Statute of limitations for the crime is 60 days, and it occured a week ago)

Thank You

p.s. Sorry if I misused the word recourse :)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

thomaswelsh said:
What is the name of your state? Kansas

My roomate and I are involved in a dispute involving a check he stole from me. If I accept payment form him equal to the amount he stole, will that limit my ability to take future legal action agaisnt him? I'm talking to my landlord now about breaking my lease, and it appears that unless I press actual charges against my roomate they will be unwilling to break the lease. (Statute of limitations for the crime is 60 days, and it occured a week ago)

Thank You

p.s. Sorry if I misused the word recourse :)

My response:

Is this post a continuation of a previous post? If it is, then please go back to your previous post and write the above there. Or, please explain your situation here; e.g., you didn't explain the situation and the connection between the stolen check and breaking the lease.

It would, however, be better for the contributors if you went back to a previous post and wrote the above into that thread.

Thanks,

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">