• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal meaning of "and".

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

my_wan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Georgia

My hobby includes photography of native fish, which often involves capture and release. Generally with the least intrusive possible capture techniques. But certain events have lead me to attempt dot all my legal i's in my activities. I have no impending legal charges.

This concerns a specific use of "and" in the law. When I look up the legal meaning of "and" it is deemed irrational, like the square root of -2 is to math. However, in most cases the intended meaning is obvious and honored as such by the law. Yet in the case below I do not not how to parse how it was intended or how I can reasonably expect it to be interpreted in a court.

I have trimmed the text to the relevant text. The full section can be seen here:
Redirecting

Georgia Code Section § 27-4-6
It shall also be unlawful to take any nongame fish by minnow seines from any of the fresh waters of this state, except where such fish are five inches in length or less and are not to be sold or otherwise used for commercial purposes and except where such waters are not trout waters as designated pursuant to Code Section 27-4-51.
The "and except" is where the trouble is. The way I parse a paraphrase of this is:
It is unlawful to take any nongame fish by minnow seines unless:
1) The fish is is both less than 5 inches and taken for noncommercial purposes.
2) The fish is taken water that is not not trout waters.

The 1st "and" is obviously an inclusive "and" establishing a co-condition that the fish is both 5 inches or less and not for commercial purposes. The second "and" with the "except" clause appears to explicitly designate it as a exclusive "and", making it independent of the first two conditions.

Hence, in part the relevant meaning could be be summed up as: "It is lawful to seine nongame fish in waters that are not designated trout waters". This would also mean that paraphrase 2) above only applies to designated trout waters. Contextually weird, but the opposing interpretation is just as weird in the context of deciphering intended meaning. Obviously all relevant laws and regulations external to this code section still apply.

In most circumstances I can make informed judgments on what limits I should adhere to, and have some limits that I independently impose on myself. But should I find myself in certain situations I cannot even make out the intent of this code segment, which I would appreciate comments on, but I am more interested in how a court might reasonably interpret it. Does this ambiguity justify a rule of lenity? If I take legal risks I at least want to have some clue what those risk are.

FlyingRon

Since the and precedes another except, it means either exception is allowed.
If they wanted both to apply, they'd not have put in the second except.

my_wan

Since the and precedes another except, it means either exception is allowed.
If they wanted both to apply, they'd not have put in the second except.
That is how I read it. It just seemed awkward the way an absolute negative was defined followed by the negations clauses to the negative. It made me uncertain about how the inclusivity and exclusivity of the negations was meant to be parsed when placed in the same sentence. It seemed to me to make more sense to begin the prohibition with designated trout waters, rather than "any of the fresh waters", and defined the pair of inclusive exceptions to that.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">