• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal in New Jersey to work on your own vehicle in your own drive way

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xakonx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New JerseyWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

There is probably no state law to prevent you from working on your car in your driveway, but there might be some local ordinance preventing or limiting the activity.

xakonx

Do u have any idea how I would be able to find out if there is any local. Laws against it. because I noe its illegal to work on city streets. And. I have been. Bothered many time and wanted to know for sure they had vaild reason. To. Tell me I can't. It would help a lot if u coulde lead me in the rite direction. Thanks

xylene

Of course it is illegal to work on a car in the public street.

Depending on the kind of work being done will make a big difference as to the answer.

I mean are we talking about an oil change or rebuilding an engine?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Do u have any idea how I would be able to find out if there is any local. Laws against it. because I noe its illegal to work on city streets. And. I have been. Bothered many time and wanted to know for sure they had vaild reason. To. Tell me I can't. It would help a lot if u coulde lead me in the rite direction. Thanks
You want to know if there are any city laws? Call the city.
You want to know if there are any township laws? Call the township.

Etc.

BOR

There is probably no state law to prevent you from working on your car in your driveway, but there might be some local ordinance preventing or limiting the activity.

A city law Carl? Never heard of anything that wild in law, talk about ripe for review.

xakonx

I mean like brakes work tune ups nothing invovlin oil or thing that can hurt the enviroment but so is that legal to do

CdwJava

A city law Carl? Never heard of anything that wild in law, talk about ripe for review.
Yep. There are a number of communities with municipal codes that prohibit auto work outside of a garage. I worked in one. In some cases it is aesthetics, in others it is environmental (oil and such), maybe even commercial (preventing unlicensed work ... tweekers do that a lot). I know of no such laws that have been tossed for content out here, only when they are poorly written and vague.

BOR

Yep. There are a number of communities with municipal codes that prohibit auto work outside of a garage. I worked in one. In some cases it is aesthetics, in others it is environmental (oil and such), maybe even commercial (preventing unlicensed work ... tweekers do that a lot). I know of no such laws that have been tossed for content out here, only when they are poorly written and vague.
I don't see a law where it is illegal to change your own sparkplugs as having any Constitutional weight behind it??

Commercially, as you bring up, is one thing, but he said working on his OWN car.

As a totality of the thread I never even heard of such in law. I believe you have personal knowledge of such, I just never heard of it, not talking about commerce now, as I said.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't see a law where it is illegal to change your own sparkplugs as having any Constitutional weight behind it??

Commercially, as you bring up, is one thing, but he said working on his OWN car.

As a totality of the thread I never even heard of such in law. I believe you have personal knowledge of such, I just never heard of it, not talking about commerce now, as I said.
It is entirely possible that auto repair would be restricted to places out of public view. This could be local (ie: HOA) rules, or it could be an ordinance passed by the local municipality.

They're not restricting the work...just the place where the work is performed

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">