• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legality of Betting pool on youth sports

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GlenP

Oregon
Recently it came to my attention that a coach for a baseball program I oversee attempted to entice other coaches in his league to put money into a pool with the winner being the person who most correctly picked the end of season results for all the teams in that league

These teams involved are made up of 11 & 12 year olds.

Is this legal?, and if not please advise the Oregon and/or Federal statutes that prohibit it.

Thanks
Glen

seniorjudge

GlenP said:
Oregon
Recently it came to my attention that a coach for a baseball program I oversee attempted to entice other coaches in his league to put money into a pool with the winner being the person who most correctly picked the end of season results for all the teams in that league

These teams involved are made up of 11 & 12 year olds.

Is this legal?, and if not please advise the Oregon and/or Federal statutes that prohibit it.

Thanks
Glen
Glen, start your research here:

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/167.html

CdwJava

I will almost guarantee that league rules prohibit these wagers.

The youth football leagues I participate in have explicit rules against this. Not to mention the fact that polls MAY be technically illegal in OR. (Not that this stops anyone)

It is NOT a good idea to do this ... there are enough politics and negative recriminations in youth sports! Betting on the outcome of the season is only ASKING for trouble!

Do not do it!

- Carl

GlenP

Unfortunately

I understand the league should have language against it, as should the National High School rule book, (for which our league rules are based), and the Oregon Sports Association's rules
But because I guess no one else thought a coach of kids would do something like this I cannot find anything.

I am not the one that did this, I am trying to find out if it is illegal, and if there is any liability against the program I oversee

seniorjudge

GlenP said:
I understand the league should have language against it, as should the National High School rule book, (for which our league rules are based), and the Oregon Sports Association's rules
But because I guess no one else thought a coach of kids would do something like this I cannot find anything.

I am not the one that did this, I am trying to find out if it is illegal, and if there is any liability against the program I oversee
The easy answer: Fire all those people involved in this.

CdwJava

Bring it to your Board of Directors or whatever legislative body exists, and create a rule prohibiting this.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">