• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legality of Fantasy Football

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

freeadviseuser1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina
OK, so I understand the UIGEA makes Fantasy sports legal on the Federal level.

My question is if a site offers a Fantasy wager based on a single weeks activity, is it still covered by UIGEA(as opposed to 6 month season)? What if I offer a fantasy league wager based on a single quarter of a single game?

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Sorry, but the UIGEA doesn't make anything "legal." It only makes certain things illegal of which fantasy sports are specifically not one of them.

You then have to revert to the rules of whatever state you are in. With the exception of certain charitable entities, ALL GAMBLING IS ILLEGAL in North Carolina.

xylene

You cannot use a limited fantasy sports exemption to book football bets.

Which would clearly be possible by what you propose.

Indeed the fantasy sports contest outcomes are exempt because on the truest level they are not wagers but competitions.

freeadviseuser1

Which would clearly be possible by what you propose.
good point. You could just give one side all the players on one NFL team, and the other guy uses the players from the opponent. In that case it would be virtually impossible to have your (single week) fantasy team win unless their team wins in real life. Would be the equivalent of a sports bet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">