• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability Insurance Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TL859

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

Here is my situation. It involves car liability insurance.

I was driving a friends car two years ago in stop and go traffic. I stop and a dump truck rear ends me. The car was basically totalled. I find out when the police get there to file the report that there was no insurance on the car. The accident wasn't my fault, it was the dump truck drivers fault and his insurance company took care of it. I got a ticket for no liability insurance.

That was a first offense.

I go to court and plead guilty and get the fine. I am given time to make the fine payment. I screw up and don't make it in time and there is a warrent put out. I am pulled over in my car when an officer runs my plates. I had not committed a violation. My insurance had lapsed. (I know, I should have learned my lesson).

That is a second offense.

My license is suspened for a year. (I did not drive the entire time) I serve 9 months of that suspension and then file a motion to discharge. I am required to get 6 months worth of insurance in advance to get that done. I do get that insurance and the suspension is lifted.

About 6 months later I let my insurance lapse when I have to renew. I was having financial issues the entire time that cause me to not have the money for insurance. I chose to park my car and keep up with my child support. The car has been in my garage the entire time and I have been taking public transportation.

I get a letter from the state of KY saying that my license has been suspended again for not having isurance. For another year. This was February. I was not pulled over or anything. I haven't even been driving.

Now this is the situation. Like I said i have been having financial difficulties so I chose to keep up with my child support rather than the car insurance. I got a job opportunity that will fix my financial woes and then some. I need to have a valid drivers license.

Here is what we have. I have been pulled over once on a car that I own and have no insurance. I have paid essentially $1500.00 in fines and served a year and three months of a suspension. I was doing some research and I saw something that said that if I am not on the title and registration of the car, I can't be charged with no liability insurance. If that is indeed the case I have served more than my share and paid my fine.

Since I plead guilty to the original offense already, am I stuck with it?

I want to find a way to get my license back ASAP so that I don't miss this job opportunity. It will help my kids and family so much. I will even go the discharge route and get the six months in advance insurance again. I just need to get the license back.

What do you guys think? If I hire a lawyer, do you think I can get my license back without ending up serving more of the suspension? I need to have it back by September 1st.

Any advise will be GREATLY appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">