• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability for letting friend use my address for mail/fake residence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

beingcareful

New Jersey

A friend of mine is planning to travel the US. After
his Mom passed 6 months ago he decided he would
buy a van/rv and re-explore North America. He has
always been sort of a hobo, extensively traveling the US
hopping trains/hitch hiking when he was much younger. I told
him he is not as young (60) as he used to be and would
most likely tire of it but he will not listen. He has over
a million so he can afford it. He wants to use my address
for mailing/insurance/tax/residence purposes. I'm going to
just toss his mail in a box and he will pick it up whenever
he passes through. Personally I think he is crazy but
he has his mind set. I guess he has to learn for himself.
Do I have any liability? I would think not but who knows.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

None, really.

However, to be on the safe side, you may want to get a signed waiver of liability from him; e.g., that you are not to take any action with regard to his mail, and are merely storing his unopened mail for him, and that you are not responsible for any bills, or to take any other action thereby and therewith. Further, in the event of a catastrophic event - - weather, earthquake, fire, storm, etc., and his mail becomes lost, destroyed, or otherwise undeliverable to him, that he relieves you of all liability and responsibility for, and in connection with, his mail received by you.

But if you don't want to be bothered, tell him to rent a mailbox, and then he can "swing by" on his own time, and whenever he wants.

IAAL

B

beingcareful

There are some problems with just renting a mailbox. Car insurance comes to mind. He was told nobody would issue a policy without a REAL address. You know where the ins co wants to know everybody who lives in the household. Maybe thats just in NJ. I'm sure there are other problems.

B

BillyBG

So what your saying is that your are helping your friend lie on legal/government forms by putting "technically" false personal information on the insurance/tax/residence forms?

B

beingcareful

>So what your saying is that your are helping your friend lie on l>egal/government forms by putting "technically"

No, what I'm saying is I really have NO IDEA what he may or may not do. It is precisely the reason I am concerned about any potential liability, hence my question.

K

knotcops

Do as IAAL suggested, have him get his own box. There are many mail box services that use street address with the box number after it.
Example: John Doe, 1234 North St #265, Where ever, UT.
It will apear as a home street address .
That will take care of your problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">