• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it Liable/Slander/or None of the Above?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tonia1

I live in Colorado and work in a Department that has about 15 employees, 3 are male the other 12 are female. We had a "staff" meeting last week to hash out some interoffice issues and while I usually hold my tongue, I have to admit, I let loose. There is 1 female employee who is in charge of dealing with our computer problems. All problems are reported to her, and then she in turn relays the problems to a computer tech (a male) who is on contract through our agency (he's only in our office on Tuesdays). Anyway, back in November I put in several computer orders that needed fixed and never heard back. And, as time wore on, I had noticed that every Tuesday when the computer tech was there, her door was shut and our problems were not getting fixed (btw, I am not the only one who has noticed this, most of the other employees admitted to seeing this problem as well). The problem was brought to the Director about 2 weeks prior to the staff meeting and nothing was done. Well, at the staff meeting, I had enough and brought it up again and I believe my exact words were "She and him are in her office every Tuesday with the door closed and who knows whats going on in there. The computer problems aren't getting fixed and if she has to come in on the weekend to catch up on her work then apparently she isn't getting her work done while he's here either". 2 days after this incident he put a copy of the CRS about Liable in my box. Of course, I am sure it's not liable, as I didn't write anything down. However my question is, is it slander or defamation? Obviously it wasn't a nice thing to say, but I did not indicate that they were having an affair or that I even thought they were having an affair, although that is what several employees told him I meant by my statement. (What I actually meant was, if they are just sitting there bull****ting, then why are we paying them?) I'm not too concerned about it, but am I right in the thinking that as long as the statement was true and I didn't out and out say they were having an affair (just because others interpretted it that way) it's not slander or defamation of character?

Beth3

It's neither libel, slander, nor defamation of character so you can forget about either of those two taking any legal action against you. As you point out though, it wasn't a nice thing to say and didn't do anything to resolve the problem.

H

hmmbrdzz

What you said is nothing close to any of those things -- even if it winds up reflected in the minutes. I don't know how formal your staff meetings are, but if it does wind up in the minutes that you said these things (and if a review of the minutes is on the agenda), briefly reiterate that you are concerned about the computers not working properly. Don't apologize for anything you said in the last meeting in an upcoming meeting. If the computer tech continues to slip little messages about libel in your box without addressing them to you and putting his "from" name on them, make a copy, give it back to him, tell him to stop, tell him you will consider it a threat to you the next time he puts something in your box of this nature, and if he does it again -- consider going to the director.

hmmbrdzz

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">