• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Libel and Slander

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cypher

What is the name of your state? IL

Situation:
I am 32 and an avid online gamer. I lead a group of online players. We recently kicked a player out of our group for being beligerant and antagonistic to other players.
He retaliated by finding out where I work and sent an email to a VP there, which resulted in the email getting sent to the president of the company.

Here is an excerpt from the email:
"I encourage you to read this email for it will inform your company of practices being kept secret. It has come to my attention that two employees of [your company] have been running on your
corporate servers a pro **** gaming server and web site.

According to my understanding, [name 1] authorized [name 2] to run and maintain a gaming server as well as an internet website that promotes killing, and playing the role of a ****. Both servers are being operated on your company's computers, as well as your company's internet line. Below is the list of information if you wish to look further into this incident."

He basically called myself and my boss pro-**** to the president of the company who happens to be Jewish. This makes my work environment uncomfortable to say the least.

Few more points:
The person who sent the email admitted to sending it in multiple emails and is proud of the fact that he put my job in jeopardy.
The person that sent the email I believe is under the age of 18 - would his parents be held accountable for his actions?
He resides in TN - I have his contact info as he became close with some of the other gaming members and they shared contact info, which was then passed on to me after the incident.

What I believe makes this a libelous and slanderous claim from my perspective:
He used my real name and my bosses real name in the email to the president who happens to be Jewish and very sensitive to the term "****"...
He implied my boss and myself are "pro-****" (which we are not) - the game we play takes place during WW2 and we play both Allies and Axis.
He also avidly played the game on the server I hosted, and in the email he gives the impression he just stumbled across the gaming server. I have his IP in the logs on our server.
The company wasnt hosting anything. I was simply using our backup Internet connection for the server. The machine it was hosted on was not company property - it was a private machine.

So do I have a case against him? Do I have to prove my reputation was tarnished at my place of business?

Any input is appreciated.

/edit: I just realized that a word I used is *'d out. It should be pretty obvious what it is, yet if you need further clarification, I will gladly offer hints...

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">