• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this libel or slander someone help me fgure this out.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Prettyprincess

What is the name of your state? Pa
Ok my brother lives in another part of Pa and he an I got in a fight online an he said some not so nice things about my mother so I retallied by telling him what a looser he is and how his girlfriend ( he's mariied bu left his wife and isn't divorced) is a witch, and a adulter and how i think she's a street walker. Can he or she nail me on any of what I said as slander or libel?? Can someone please clear this up for me??

P

Prettyprincess

on the message board no, but in the email to him yes iused her name and his as if we talking on the phone and i was yelling at him b/c i was mad

stephenk

i am assuming no one else was on the phone line and you only sent the email to him, right? Slander applies if you make the comment to a third person not the person you are slandering. Libel applies if you send the email to everyone in your circle of friends and family.

forget about it.

P

Prettyprincess

the only other person it was sent to was my mother so she could save it to disk only after he called me some not so nice choice names and accused me of some not so nice things.

Beth3

It's only slander or libel if it's (a) untrue, (b) communicated to a third party, and (c) the injured party suffers damages as a result.

Sounds like you and your brother have a very mature relationship. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">