• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lied to get PPO any consequences?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sw33tcakes66

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hi,

I was wondering if there were any consequences when some lies to get a stalking PPO against someone? And how I can go about doing something about it? A friend of mine's soon to be ex-wife made up lies and got a PPO on me. I went to court to get it terminated and in court under oath she said the prosecutor was going to prosecute me for hacking her email that she had hippa information in her yahoo email. The judge would not terminate it based on her saying this. Well I called the prosecutor office the next day and I wasnt under investigation for anything and i also did some research and have come to realize that she is breaking hippaa laws if she really is using a free web email account for peoples personal info (ss#, etc) she even brought in a letter from a supervisor stating this.... shouldn't someone be investigating her? so I filed a motion got the PPO terminated...she didnt even show up. So Im wonder if there are any consequences for her actions? Trying to give an innocent person a criminal history out of spite. I wasted time away from work and $1400 on a lawyer because of this and I am far from rich...single woman home owner i pay all my bills...this was detrimental to me I had to borrow money to pay my mortgage.

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hi,

I was wondering if there were any consequences when some lies to get a stalking PPO against someone? And how I can go about doing something about it? A friend of mine's soon to be ex-wife made up lies and got a PPO on me. I went to court to get it terminated and in court under oath she said the prosecutor was going to prosecute me for hacking her email that she had hippa information in her yahoo email. The judge would not terminate it based on her saying this. Well I called the prosecutor office the next day and I wasnt under investigation for anything and i also did some research and have come to realize that she is breaking hippaa laws if she really is using a free web email account for peoples personal info (ss#, etc) she even brought in a letter from a supervisor stating this.... shouldn't someone be investigating her? so I filed a motion got the PPO terminated...she didnt even show up. So Im wonder if there are any consequences for her actions? Trying to give an innocent person a criminal history out of spite. I wasted time away from work and $1400 on a lawyer because of this and I am far from rich...single woman home owner i pay all my bills...this was detrimental to me I had to borrow money to pay my mortgage.

if the DA decides to pursue anything for perjury, it would be up to them. you would not receive any money for her criminal case.

sw33tcakes66

I read about suing for "malicious prosecution" to maybe get the money I spent on a lawyer back. I'm not out to make money off of someone I just think people should be held responsible in some way for their actions. If anyone can go lie in court to get ppo's and it doesnt cost them anything and there are no consequences what is going to stop them in the future from doing it again.

CdwJava

So, do you have evidence that she knowingly and intentionally lied on her affidavit for the PPO? That she knowingly and intentionally lied to the court or in some official legal process? I'm going to bet that you do not.

Has she confessed to lying?

The point is, prosecuting such things as what someone said or believes to be the case is very, very difficult. Who is to say that she did not BELIEVE the DA was investigating him? If she admitted to making it up and lying to the court, that would be a different story. I am going to guess she did not make any such admission. If she did, well, the DA can choose to prosecute or not. And, if you have such evidence, you can always consult an attorney and see if you have a chance at a civil suit ... be prepared to articulate your damages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">