• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Limitation statute on felonys california?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jennipher84

What is the name of your state? Washington, Seattle.

I just found out that there are three felony charges and a misdimenor charge and 2 warrants in the amount of 20,000 and 50,000 for my arrest in california, I am wondering what if any, statue of limitations are on felonys or if there is any such thing, these are a few years old from what I have been able to find out. Because of marriage and a name change, I geuss they never figured it out and found me, I had no idea of anything that would have caused these charges. I have been pulled over on many acation because of a heavy foot and a lotus. Never heard anything about it tell the other day from a old friend in cali. and then I called and sure enoff they are there. Any info would be great. I have yet to call anyone about this and my boss said this was the site to go to for info on anything in reference to law.

Thank you Jenn.;)

P.S. Sorry about spelling I suck at that, but not on other things, LOL.

calatty

Actually there is a statute of limitations. The number of years depends on the type of felony. However, the statute of limitations does not limit how long the state has to catch you, but how long it can take to charge you. If it charged you within the statute, the warrant is good forever.

mdnotadoctor

calatty said:
Actually there is a statute of limitations. The number of years depends on the type of felony. However, the statute of limitations does not limit how long the state has to catch you, but how long it can take to charge you. If it charged you within the statute, the warrant is good forever.
I'm sorry, I don't understand this. :confused: Can you clarify it please? And how would one find out the type of felony, and its associated statue of limitations?

mdnotadoctor

Sorry, was that response to me? The context doesn't make sense... I am not the original poster of the thread, but it's a pretty close match in what I could find without starting a new thread.

I don't mind doing the research, but I'd like a good place to start.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mdnotadoctor said:
Sorry, was that response to me? The context doesn't make sense... I am not the original poster of the thread

My response:

No, it was for Jennipher84.

"You're so vain, you probably think this response is about you
You're so vain, I'll bet you think this response is about you
Don't you? Don't You?"

Carly (IAAL) Simon

TYRIS

mdnotadoctor said:
I'm sorry, I don't understand this. :confused: Can you clarify it please? And how would one find out the type of felony, and its associated statue of limitations?

- Calatty pretty much summed it up.

Misdemeanor and felony offenses have a specific period of time that the state can charge you with that crime. That is the Statute of Limitation. Different felony offenses have different statute of limitations that are dictated by the type of offense committed.

Once the offense has been filed and a warrant has been issued, the statute of limitations no longer applies.

Tyris

mdnotadoctor

TYRIS said:
- Calatty pretty much summed it up.

Misdemeanor and felony offenses have a specific period of time that the state can charge you with that crime. That is the Statute of Limitation. Different felony offenses have different statute of limitations that are dictated by the type of offense committed.

Once the offense has been filed and a warrant has been issued, the statute of limitations no longer applies.

Tyris
Thanks, MUCH clearer now. :D OK, where could I go to find out what the SoL would be for various felonies in Calif.?

Thanks!

TYRIS

mdnotadoctor said:
Thanks, MUCH clearer now. :D OK, where could I go to find out what the SoL would be for various felonies in Calif.?

Thanks!

-Any law library if you know what your looking for. If not, contact the D.A. or any criminal attorney. They will know.

Tyris

mdnotadoctor

TYRIS said:
-Any law library if you know what your looking for. If not, contact the D.A. or any criminal attorney. They will know.

Tyris
Thanks! :D OK, what if I don't know what I'm looking for...Having looked up things in the PA code once before, I think I'd have half a chance of finding it, but is it contained in the section describing each felony, or would it be in a different area of the codes?

Also, I found the CA codes online here: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

Is this a good site to research online?

Thanks! :)

TYRIS

mdnotadoctor said:
Thanks! :D OK, what if I don't know what I'm looking for...Having looked up things in the PA code once before, I think I'd have half a chance of finding it, but is it contained in the section describing each felony, or would it be in a different area of the codes?

Also, I found the CA codes online here: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

Is this a good site to research online?

Thanks! :)

-It is if you know what your looking for. I use it a lot. If you don't know what your looking for it may take you awhile to find the answers you want. Your best option would be to contact a defense attorney and ask them your question.

But you have to realize that if warrants have been issued then the charges have already been filed and the the statute of limitations no longer applies.

Tyris

mdnotadoctor said:
This thread is three years old :eek: !

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">