• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liquor bottle found in a room.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MSU0602

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Ok this is sort of a legal question I guess...
I go to Michigan State and about a week ago I was in a friends dorm room. It was around 12:30 or so when someone knocked on the door. My friend went up and looked through the peep hole to see 2 RA's standing outside the door. She said oh crap and ran over to a dresser and picked up an empty bottle of liquor and put it in her fridge. Well the RA's came in the room because the music was too loud and it was quiet hours. Since she yelled out oh crap he figured we had all (there was 4 of us) been drinking. He did a quick search and found the empty bottle, well I guess it was almost empty, there was just a little bit left. She had the bottle because she was saving it for a friend who likes to collect different kinds of liquor bottles. He took the bottle and wrote down our names and ID's. Now we had not been drinking. (well 2 of the other people in the room had been earlier but were pretty sobered up by the time he came in). I was not drunk and he had even said that, "None of you look drunk". He took the bottle and kept saying he was sorry that he had to do it. He said that we wouldnt get an MIP and said that at the very worst we would have to take some alcohol class, but "thats a worst case scenario, I mean none of you look drunk" as he said it. Now when you look back at that I know it doesnt sound so bad but the problem is is that I'm in criminal justice, looking to be a police officer. I'm worried that this may harm me. What do you think will happen when we eventually meet with the hall director (I havent heard anything about it yet). We were all underage and you're not allowed to have bottles in your room, not even for decoration. I'm almost wondering if he may have had an idea the other two people had been drinking, even though he said nobody looked drunk, and assume that we all had been drinking there. It feels like all the circumstances may add up and screw me. Should I worry about this even if I had not been drinking and the bottle was pretty much empty? If I do get in trouble for this and get, "completed alcohol awarness class" on my student record and 3 years down the road it comes up on my background check to be a cop, is it somehting that I could explain and not be a big deal to the comittee who interviews me? Well, thats my question. Thanks for any advice.

L

loocpoc

Hell you cant even be cited for MIP because of the RA's statement and search. The worst that can happen is university sanctions. Most police departments dont even look at university disiciplinary records for when you get hired.

M

MSU0602

Thank you for the replys. I didnt see it as a huge deal but I was still very concerned about it. Thank you, it takes a load off me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">