• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost/Stolen Credit Card & Debt Card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

txgirl716

What is the name of your state? Texas

Over a week ago I did a stupid thing and placed my purse on the trunk of my car and in my morning rush to drop off kids at Day-care and get to work on time I drove out of my drive way with it still on the trunk of my car. Thinking I just left my purse at home all day, I didn't do anything until that evening and realized what I had done. I immediately called my bank and cancelled my checking account debt card and another banks Credit card. Well when doing so they informed me of $395 in charges that were pending to clear on my checking account from that morning and another $165 in charges on my Credit Card that posted on my account from that morning. I immediately disputed the charges and explained what happened to them. My Credit Card account was closed and I have signed all the Fraud documents, etc. that I was asked to sign. A police report was filed that evening by a county sheriff and we were assigned an investigator. The next day I went to our bank and showed proof of a police report and signed all fraud papers necessary. The following day our Checking account was credited for the fraudulent charges and my Credit Card has reversed all charges, etc. So we have been able to get back all the money that was stolen from us, but my guestion is if this person is caught, and is charged with fraud, what kind of legal action can I take against this person. Can I sue them for any other money I am out because of what they did. i.e. bank fees to stop charges, ordering of new cards, ordering new drivers license, missed a days work to handle everything, etc. A little twist to this case is that the leads, and video from the various stores are matching up to be our new neighbors adult sons who still live at home. Talk about an uncomfortable living situation.
:confused:
Thank you!

JETX

You could certainly sue him for the expenses his actions have caused you, but you would probably never collect from him.

I would start talking to the DA and see if they will try to add restitution to any sentence that the subject might get. That would likely be the best way for you to recover the costs.

Otherwise, you will simply have a moderately expensive lesson to help you remember about your purse.

Also, you might contact the bank if they charged you stop pay fees. They are not needed. You shouldn't have to pay the bank to do what they are already obligated to do as part of their fiduciary obligation... that is to protect your account from fraudulent activity.

T

txgirl716

Thank you

Thank you JETX for the advice. Once this guy is caught we will talk to the DA and see if we can be reimbursed for our losses, but like you said the chances of us getting anything are probably slim to none. I think we will just be happy knowing he was caught and will punished by law for it. Also thanks for the advice about the bank fees too, I didn't think it was right either, but to ensure he wouldn't charge up anymore bills I paid it. Thanks for your help!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">