• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In a lot of trouble over bad checks... please help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Keri 30741

Hi.. my name is Keri.. I am 19 years old and undoubtedly in a WHOLE lot of trouble.... I have a little girl named michayla and a pretty large family.. At Christmas time I was worried that I wasnt going to have enough money for Christmas.. and opened up a checking account... Instead of only writing checks for the amount of money that I had in the bank I wrote checks for up and above that amount.. right now... I have paid over 300.00 in bad check fees.. one of my bad checks is for 507.00 and another one is for 609.99.. and those two arent the only ones .. there are a few more but, they are less than two hundred dollars... I lost my job last month and I dont have enough money to pay for those checks that I wrote.. I am worried that the only reason Im not in jail already is because I moved about 100 miles away and my family is not giving anyone my new address or telephone number.. I have two questions.. one is.. is there anything at all that I can possibly do to remedy this situation? number two.. if not, what kind of trouble am I looking at? the total amount of my bad checks is approximately 2,060.00... please help me... If you cant post any answers on here.. feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]... Thankyou.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

We're starting a collection for you.

We're using JasonRT's hat for this and, I'm sure he's going to give you one of his patented pep talks to let you know everything is going to be okay.

Okay, JasonRT, your turn . . .

IAAL

Last edited:
K

Keri 30741

sweet of you to be funny thanks..

Thankyou for your reply.. although I do realize if that was really what you were doing.. lol.. I would be thrilled to death and shocked that someone I dont even know is getting a "collection" together for me.. lol... You're a sweetie.. thanks for the laugh I needed that badly. Take Care.

M

marantz

Oh Keri keri keri

Why do you let the world dictate what you do?

Why cant you be a scrooge?

You are in for a lifetime of misery over a marketing scam called CHRISTMAS!

I feel pity for you.

You need to join a 12 step program to overcome this wasteful and irresponsible spending.

You will learn in time that the most important gift you can give is yourself, and that's free!

H

Humble Warrior

I know this is a strange concept in modern days.....but you might just contact the places that received your hot checks,and tell them the HONEST truth as you have here. You may be suprized to find that they will not press charges on you,if you make payment arrangements,and STICK to the plan.
Plan "B" is to try your luck in court,and make payment arrangements though them. They really dont want to arrest someone for something so trivial,but they will if you dont become open and honest about what you did,and take responsibility for your actions
People go to jail all the time for the same thing, but they are not honest,they run,they do not stick to the payment plan.
You have two choices.....stand tall,and stand to your wrongs,then correct them........or go to jail. the decision is up to you.

J

JasonRT

Dear Keri,

What a mother you are to your daughter! Teaching her how to become a good little thief. Did you put on a ski mask when you went into the stores to purchase this merchandise? Because if you were going to rob from them with a GUN instead of your WORTHLESS CHECKBOOK I'm sure you would have worn some sort of a disguise.

Until you pay back ALL of this money - you will not be able to have a checking account - ANYWHERE, welcome to the Chexsystems database. So your daughter can grow up watching her loser mommy running to the post office to buy money orders to pay the heating bill. What a life!!! If you couldn't afford the presents - YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE BOUGHT THEM. You don't NEED to have an extravagant Christmas. Especially not at the risk of possible incarceration.

The only COLLECTION we may be doing for you will be against you. Once your bad checks are turned over to collections it will take them all of 20 seconds on their computer to find your new address. Your filthy debtor-hiding mother won't be able to keep them at bay forever. Count on that.

Now, what to do ...... I suggest you call each store and offer to return their merchandise and pay their bad check fees (probably around $25 per check you wrote - I hope you're not living in a state which allows for treble damages then you'll be owing somewhere around $6000 unless you pay in full in 30 days). For the stores that won't take the merchandise back it's time to work out payment plans. Now quit playing around on the Internet, find a job, and repay the debts you THIEF.

You disgust me more than any other person on this forum has ever disgusted me before.

[email protected]

D

dupman

Can you actually get legal questions answered here, or is this just another chat room where people come to trash the last guy?

J

JasonRT

DUPMAN,

Her questions were answered, advice was given. This is not a chat room where people are trashed. But when someone's behavior is this unacceptable, they are going to have it pointed out to them. There are people with genuine problems and those that make problems for themselves by doing things such as this.

[email protected]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

JasonRT said:
Dear Keri,

What a mother you are to your daughter! Teaching her how to become a good little thief. Did you put on a ski mask when you went into the stores to purchase this merchandise? Because if you were going to rob from them with a GUN instead of your WORTHLESS CHECKBOOK I'm sure you would have worn some sort of a disguise.

Until you pay back ALL of this money - you will not be able to have a checking account - ANYWHERE, welcome to the Chexsystems database. So your daughter can grow up watching her loser mommy running to the post office to buy money orders to pay the heating bill. What a life!!! If you couldn't afford the presents - YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE BOUGHT THEM. You don't NEED to have an extravagant Christmas. Especially not at the risk of possible incarceration.

The only COLLECTION we may be doing for you will be against you. Once your bad checks are turned over to collections it will take them all of 20 seconds on their computer to find your new address. Your filthy debtor-hiding mother won't be able to keep them at bay forever. Count on that.

Now, what to do ...... I suggest you call each store and offer to return their merchandise and pay their bad check fees (probably around $25 per check you wrote - I hope you're not living in a state which allows for treble damages then you'll be owing somewhere around $6000 unless you pay in full in 30 days). For the stores that won't take the merchandise back it's time to work out payment plans. Now quit playing around on the Internet, find a job, and repay the debts you THIEF.

You disgust me more than any other person on this forum has ever disgusted me before.

[email protected]

My response:

Jason, I was rolling on the floor with laughter as I was reading your wonderful response. I knew you'd come through !

I have the best time reading your terrific, funny, yet hardhitting, responses !

Thanks so very much.

Now, I'm going out to the store . . . to write some bad checks to become the thief I've always wanted to be ! Or, on second thought, I'll just rob a bank today. Much more excitement.

Your pal,

IAAL

P.S. I just wanted to say that I am so thankful that you came back to these forums after you moved. There's only a few contributors that I'd surely MISS (big time) if they ever left the forums, and one of them is you. You are terrific !

Last edited:
J

JasonRT

Dear IAAL,

Thanks for your kind words - I'm glad you enjoy the context of some of my responses. It's a real pleasure to help out here - thanks again.

[email protected]

S

SheDezy

Advice

Keri,

I had some similar troubles a few years back. Although, it wasnt for X-mas, it was to keep the lights on, pay the rent, etc. I'd have to go with the Scrooge comment on that one. Anyway, on to my advice. I don't know how the laws work in your State, but here's how I kept out of jail in Texas...

This only works if you don't care about your credit. Mine was already screwed so this applied:

I would write bad checks, and ignore all of the letters from the places of business. Close your checking account. Continue to ignore any and all notices from the places of business. Wait until your contacted by a state agency, like the district att., etc. Only then do you really need to pay. (If your objective is to keep out of jail.) If you are contacted by a state agency and they're asking you to pay, do it! Otherwise, it's just a bunch of companies trying to get the money that is rightfully theirs.

S

SheDezy

Re: chexsystems

Also not true. Simply a scare tactic. Not all banks use the same DB to check if you've screwed over a prior bank. Not all banks use multiple databases either. Call your current bank, and ask them who they use to run credit checks. Then, get out the old yellow pages and call every bank asking them who they use. Find one that doesn't match, and you're in luck. I had 2 accounts from 2 separate banks closed, and I still have another account. Furthermore, many banks have 'secon-chance checking.' Granted you'll be paying an arm and a leg in monthly fees, and other misc. 'high-risk' fees, but you'll have an account.

J

JasonRT

SheDezy,

How proud you must be. Managing to rip off three banks at once. When all of this catches up to you (3 banks?) I don't think your defense attorney is going to accept a check.

[email protected]

R

RedneckRoy

JasonRT said:
DUPMAN,

Her questions were answered, advice was given. This is not a chat room where people are trashed. But when someone's behavior is this unacceptable, they are going to have it pointed out to them. There are people with genuine problems and those that make problems for themselves by doing things such as this.

[email protected]
Touche, you are such a DINGLEBERRY

crusheroz

My question, Why on earth would you do such a thing? Why were you not thinking of your daughter? Do you realize you can go to jail for this. People do everyday. And where will your daughter be if you do go to jail? You were not thinking very smart. And also you could have had a very nice Christmas without spending that much money. I hope you are found and the they throw the book at you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">