• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Luggage theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dzspell

I think the airline stole my luggage

Illinois

On Friday, June 7, I flew from Chicago to Kansas City, MO, and my luggage did not turn up at the baggage claim. We went through the airline and treated the situation as a lost bag, jumping through all the necessary hoops. The bag included clothing, medication, toiletries, and my mobile phone. The bag has still not shown up and the airline has no idea where it is.

After I got home, I suspended my cell service. At that time, I checked to see if any calls were made from my phone. Although my carrier wouldn't give me the details over the phone (the info has to be mailed for privacy reasons), several calls were made between June 8 and June 10 (the day I suspended my service). Once I found out there were calls made from my phone, I filed a police report for theft with the Chicago PD. The phone company says that once I have the call information, I can find out where the calls were placed from. I say that if they were made from Chicago, it's a pretty good bet an airline employee took my bag because we checked in at the ticket counter. If the calls were made from KC or somewhere else, it could have been anyone.

My question is, if it was an airline employee who took the bag, can I sue the airline and what could I expect in damages?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">