• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

M1 charge going to trial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

irishhead

I am being charged with corruption of minors 18 6301 A1i for encouraging my daughter to fight another girl. I did not have prior knowledge of the fight, nor did I take my daughter to the fight. I heard from my other daughter that she went somewhere to fight so I left and when I got there my daughter and another girl were fighting. My question is, with no prior criminal history (other than a misdameanour for fighting when I was 18 which was 19 years ago), a long term career (18 years), and being a single father with full custody, what are my chances of incarceration? I did participate in an ARD program when I was 18 for fighting so it would seem that the ARD program is not an option. The charges were not dropped at the District court level because the judge felt I should have broken up the fight. Which i do not disagree with, i know that now. But during the heat of the moment, and dealing with these bullies for several months, I was glad to see my daughter beat her butt. The police record does state that my daughter was struck first. Any insight would be helpful. I need to know if I should plan for a stay at the county or not. (hopefully not)

Silverplum

I am being charged with corruption of minors 18 6301 A1i for encouraging my daughter to fight another girl. I did not have prior knowledge of the fight, nor did I take my daughter to the fight. I heard from my other daughter that she went somewhere to fight so I left and when I got there my daughter and another girl were fighting. My question is, with no prior criminal history (other than a misdameanour for fighting when I was 18 which was 19 years ago), a long term career (18 years), and being a single father with full custody, what are my chances of incarceration? I did participate in an ARD program when I was 18 for fighting so it would seem that the ARD program is not an option. The charges were not dropped at the District court level because the judge felt I should have broken up the fight. Which i do not disagree with, i know that now. But during the heat of the moment, and dealing with these bullies for several months, I was glad to see my daughter beat her butt. The police record does state that my daughter was struck first. Any insight would be helpful. I need to know if I should plan for a stay at the county or not. (hopefully not)
What's the name of your US state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was with you dad...right up to the point that you took glee in the fight.

FlyingRon

You need an attorney. A previous ARD (especially one a long time ago) is not necessarily a bar to a new ARD. Of course, the time to beat this is at the preliminary stages, but your chances without an attorney are nil.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She is 15. Never in a fight before, that's just not her nature. I guess she was fed up...As was I. But I know I shouldn't have encouraged her. Do you think her age will make a difference?
Her age will make a difference to your charge? No. She is a minor.

Ladyback1

You are guilty. You encouraged your daughter to beat someone up. Good grief. With parents like you, your daughter doesn't need enemies or friends who are bad influences.
But ya' know what? I bet the daughter is not bullied or picked on anymore!

I know, I know, violence is never the answer. And typically I agree with that; however, I have had a child that was bullied and picked on. When every other reasonable avenue had been attempted to correct the problem and had not stopped the torment --we spoke with the school admin, the police, and the bullies' parents. We were told by all of them that it was just boys being boys, wasn't that bad, and that my son needed to learn to take a joke-- my son had enough one day. One of the kids came up to my son, took a belonging (graphing calculator) from out of my son's hand and then ran down the hall at school. My son caught the kid, punched the kid in the face and took back his belonging.
The school wanted to punish JUST my son. And I explained how in no uncertain terms that my child was not the only one going to be punished, and that the school had failed in their obligation to protect and provide a safe place for my son (yes, I had spoken to the principal several times regarding the bullying).

So...while the "right" answer would have been for Dad to break up the fight, I can also understand where OP is coming from.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
But ya' know what? I bet the daughter is not bullied or picked on anymore!

I know, I know, violence is never the answer. And typically I agree with that; however, I have had a child that was bullied and picked on. When every other reasonable avenue had been attempted to correct the problem and had not stopped the torment --we spoke with the school admin, the police, and the bullies' parents. We were told by all of them that it was just boys being boys, wasn't that bad, and that my son needed to learn to take a joke-- my son had enough one day. One of the kids came up to my son, took a belonging (graphing calculator) from out of my son's hand and then ran down the hall at school. My son caught the kid, punched the kid in the face and took back his belonging.
The school wanted to punish JUST my son. And I explained how in no uncertain terms that my child was not the only one going to be punished, and that the school had failed in their obligation to protect and provide a safe place for my son (yes, I had spoken to the principal several times regarding the bullying).

So...while the "right" answer would have been for Dad to break up the fight, I can also understand where OP is coming from.
I see where you are coming from. However you weren't standing their cheering your son on. The school was negligent with the treatment of your son. But that is a different situation from what the OP described.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">