• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Magistrate??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NikkiConner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I was arrested on 8/30/08 for forgery financial instrument. I received a Bond and was release approx 4 hours later.
I was told to report in every Wednesday, which I did and that it would more likely take 60-90 days for a court date.
I received a call today saying that the court date is set for 9/19 in the Magistrate?
Now I'm not exactly educated in legal terminology or what have you, however isn't a Magistrate, a Judge? And if so... Shouldn't I have like a Court number, Building name or number, Chamber number or something? I live in Tarrant County, Is there only one Magistrate here? I would assume not.. It's much too large for that. Maybe I am wrong, but it just seems strange to me.
At any rate can someone please answer this question for me? I don't want to call the bonds person or courts and waste their time with silly questions. Thank you in Advance

Definition:
(Magistrate is a judicial officer. In common law systems a magistrate usually has limited authority to administer and enforce the law. In civil law systems a magistrate may be a judge of a superior court. In some jurisdictions, such as Australia, the term has become both Federal Magistrates and state magistrates have jurisdiction similar to a judge. A magistrate's court may have jurisdiction in civil cases, criminal cases, or both. A related, but not always equivalent, term is Chief Magistrate, which (historically) can refer to political and administrative as well as judicial officers.)

quincy

There are Magistrate Courts as well as magistrates in Texas.

Some states have Magistrate Courts, other states don't. We don't have them in Michigan - we don't have magistrates, either. Just plain old judges. Not nearly as impressive sounding. :)

If you live in Tarrant County, by the way, the address I found for the Magistrates Court says it is located in the Tarrant County Justice Center, 401 W. Belknap Street, in the Basement. It is located in Fort Worth.

You should probably call the Court (817-884-1251) to verify that this information is correct and that that is, in fact, where you are to appear on the 19th.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">