• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mail delivered to wrong address and opened

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

milspecgirl

What is the name of your state? tn
I am having problems with our mail carrier delivering packages to the wrong address. The streets are all similar names and she keeps delivering my pkgs that go to 123 abc st to 123 abcd st- around the corner.
those ppl open the mail and then keep the stuff. I went up there today after being notified that the item in question had been delivered and I never received it to see if they had it. It wasn't much- a cell phone case I had ordered. She brings one to the door- her kids opened the pkg on accident, blah blah. It is not what i ordered- obviously very used (even though she claims it was in a sealed pkg). I'm guessing that they decided to use the new one and then tried to pawn the old one off on me when I came looking.
I have complained to the post office, but it keeps happening.
I don't want to have to pay for a po box just to get my stuff. normal ppl would return a pkg when they realized it wasn't theirs- not keep it for over 2 weeks until someone comes looking for it.
my questions is... is it still a federal offense if you open someone else's mail even if it was delivered to your house? and if so, what is the possible punishment?

Hershon

Just pay for the PO Box

The Post Office leaves packages most of the time in front of my door so anyone can take them despite my complaints. Most federal employees don't give a damn cause its hard to fire them.
The bottom line is, just pay for the PO Box, cause however unfair it is, your still better off.

milspecgirl

well, po box won't solve it cause ups, fedex, etc don't deliver to po boxes
i want to send them a harshly worded letter pretty much stating that their children need to be taught not to open other people's mail and that it is a federal offense to open other ppl's mail, stealing to keep it, etc. I just want to know if it is still an offense to open someone else's mail if it was delivered to your house by accident

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
well, po box won't solve it cause ups, fedex, etc don't deliver to po boxes
i want to send them a harshly worded letter pretty much stating that their children need to be taught not to open other people's mail and that it is a federal offense to open other ppl's mail, stealing to keep it, etc. I just want to know if it is still an offense to open someone else's mail if it was delivered to your house by accident
Yep. it is.

TinkerBelleLuvr

You may want to consider having packages to be delivered to you at work. I've eliminated the problem of the disappearing packages by having them come to work.

caretta32

this had happened to me and I called the Post Master General for my area. They took my information and I faxed the evidence of the other person writing on my mail to them and the other person recieved a cease and desist letter.

CdwJava

Unfortunately, unless your state has a statute outlawing the intentional opening of another's mail, you would have to rely on the feds to pursue it. Sorry to say, without any loss or damage, I doubt that US Attorney is going to waste time and resources with a case like this. You can always report it, but they often refer the reporting party back to local authorities who very often have no statute to cover the issue and simply talk to the involved parties.

This sounds like a quality control issue with your local post office. I'd suggest you work your way up the USPS food chain to see that the matter doesn't happen again. If they are delivering it to the wrong address (assuming the address was clear and legible on the package or mail item), they may be liable for any loss or damage.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">