• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mail Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ashina

I live in Honolulu, Hawaii. My family is currently renting a house that is segregated into three separate families, one is my own. The owners of the house live downstairs, while the second floor is separated between my family and another that is renting.

I recently ordered a product online, and had it sent to our address with second floor on the label. The postal service DHL left the product on their door step, so they took my box and said that none was ever received.

I called DHL, and the courier came to my house to pinpoint the exact location the box was dropped. But even with that testimony, I don't think there is anything I can do. Is there anything that I can do to get my box back?

Hershon

DHL Owes You A Refund Better Send them a Sharply Written Letter Now

I don't know why these delivery services are so retarded. They don't seem to care if items are stolen and don't care that leaving something in front of a door is an invitation to theft.

A few years ago a UPS delivery man idiot, brought a package to my apartment complex and he gave it to someone in my building who wasn't me and didn't ask for identification or anything. I contacted UPS- I found out it had been delivered and signed for by someone not me with an illegible signature and they gave me a check for the value of the item within 2 weeks and they were actually fine to deal with from that end. UPS though continues to this day to leave packages out, have people sign stuff not in their apartments/homes with ID's etc.

The bottom line is, if you send them a letter specifying the facts and value, chances are very good they'll send you a refund. In alot of these cases, the value of what was lost was so low, that its usually not worth wasting several hours to get back $20-30 or so.

FlyingRon

Unless this was some service that the USPS contracted out to DHL, the words "postal service" and "mail" do not apply to their deliveries.

DHL, UPS, FEDEX, etc... are common carriers.

If you do not receive shipments, contact the carrier and the shipper. They all have their own contractural procedures for losses.

If you believe that others are stealing, contact the local police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">