• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mail theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rn54023

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My roommate admitted another roommate stole my mail to create distress for me. She told me the roommate cut up and trashed my mail.
I have tried in the past to get a P.O. box but it is difficult in the city - there is a long wait period.

I did not receive my W-2 tax forms forms and contacted my employer to resend this week. I believe she took that mail to see what salary I make and to cause complications with my finances. Now, I have to make sure I am home to receive my mail. With my schedule, I am home only 1-4 times a week. I realize now that other mail I never received was most likely stolen too, and also the bag of clothing that I packaged to send to charity went missing before the mail person picked it up.

1.) Can I warn this woman that this is a federal crime? How should I manage this?

2.) Can I tape the roommate in conversation telling me this?

3.) These women are not citizens (not sure if relevant - but two are on extended visas for work/school and one is becoming a citizen through marriage but her husband is living with his girlfriend in another state). They are very defensive and high strung and don't take things lightly, so I am not sure if discussing that this is illegal would help or even register with them.

4.) The mailbox is located downstairs in the entrance between the outside door and building. There is not a way to place a camera without anyone noticing.

Thank you for your time and advice.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Sounds like it's time to move.

Or if you can't get an actual post office box you can go to a UPS Store and they have a similar service.

rn54023

Thank you both for your help and advice.

I actually asked to reroute to my landlord (who lives next to the mailboxes), but this became a huge ordeal with my roommate.

I am planning to put the mail on hold at the post office.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">