• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

malicious prosecution...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thes

New Jersey

I signed a criminal complaint of "theft of services" on a customer. Prior to his arraignment, his attorney sent a letter stating that he would have the charge dismissed and threatened to sue me in civil court for malicious prosecution, unless I dropped the criminal charges against my customer. Is this legal/ethical procedure?

~Thes

CdwJava

thes said:
New Jersey

I signed a criminal complaint of "theft of services" on a customer. Prior to his arraignment, his attorney sent a letter stating that he would have the charge dismissed and threatened to sue me in civil court for malicious prosecution, unless I dropped the criminal charges against my customer. Is this legal/ethical procedure?

~Thes
If he has grounds to make the claim (i.e. a reasonable belief he can get the charges dropped and grounds to sue you) , I don't see where it is unlawful. However, depending on the law in NJ it could be seen as an attempt to dissuade a witness from testifying. You might want to run that letter past the local DA and see what they have to say.

- Carl

thes

New Jersey

Thank you, Carl.....If you don't mind, here's another question:
My customer has already been to his arraignment....now if he pays what he owes me BEFORE the trial court date, should I drop the charges against him? Or will that open me up to having the malicious prosecution brought down on me by his lawyer?
Legal procedures are a bit confusing.

~Thes

CdwJava

thes said:
New Jersey

Thank you, Carl.....If you don't mind, here's another question:
My customer has already been to his arraignment....now if he pays what he owes me BEFORE the trial court date, should I drop the charges against him? Or will that open me up to having the malicious prosecution brought down on me by his lawyer?
Legal procedures are a bit confusing.

~Thes
This is a question best left for your attorney. You can always choose to request the charges be dropped, but I suspect it is the DA who will ultimately make the decision.

Whether a decision to drop will expose you to an allegation of a malicious prosecution is something only a local attorney could say (and I presume in NJ that these sorts of offenses are initiated by the complainant's say-so and not through the DA or Grand Jury). If the DA brings the charges, then you would not likely face a suit for malicious prosecution as the state is conducting the prosecution - not you (again, this depends on your state's laws). They might allege that you made a false report or complaint, but if the DA is prosecuting then I don't see that you could be held liable.

- Carl

thes

I made the compliant, and it's listed as the prosecutor vs. my customer...on the docket.

Again, Thank you, Carl....I will bring the letter to an attorney & get their advice.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend...I'll breathe a little easier now, since getting your insight on this matter.

~Thes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">