• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mall Parking lot Trespassing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kaysh

What is the name of your state? ny <nyc>

recently my son and approx. 80 other kids <legal age teens> were parked in the local mall parking lot after mall hours. not drinking or doing anything illegal other than the obvious trespassing. just showing their cars.

Subsequently they were all issued summonses for trespassing.

my son's court case is this coming wednesday <12/2> and i have just heard that some of the other kids that already had their hearings were given 6 months parole???

i have 2 questions:
1> is this a standard proceedure to give a teenager with no prior record this severe a punishment?
and
2> should we have consulted a lawyer?

i realize this is late in the day <so to speak> but i was given the impression by some local authorities that it wouldn't be any big deal...seems like 6 months parole is one heck of a big deal.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated <the sooner the better!>

thanks!

B

bini

Kaysh

Relatively speaking 6 months parole is a slap on the wrist. All the judge basically told these other offenders was "Be good for the next 6 months". If your son as never been in trouble before and is a good kid, then nothing in his life will change. Except for the fact he might have to go to the court house once a month and tell his P.O. hello.

On the other hand, if you expect your son to get into trouble within the next 6 months, he might have a problem if he is sentenced to 6 months parole.

Bini

L

loocpoc

Well unless they are going to prison they wont be getting parole.

HomeGuru

Kaysh said:
What is the name of your state? ny <nyc>

recently my son and approx. 80 other kids <legal age teens> were parked in the local mall parking lot after mall hours. not drinking or doing anything illegal other than the obvious trespassing. just showing their cars.

Subsequently they were all issued summonses for trespassing.

my son's court case is this coming wednesday <12/2> and i have just heard that some of the other kids that already had their hearings were given 6 months parole???

i have 2 questions:
1> is this a standard proceedure to give a teenager with no prior record this severe a punishment?
and
2> should we have consulted a lawyer?

i realize this is late in the day <so to speak> but i was given the impression by some local authorities that it wouldn't be any big deal...seems like 6 months parole is one heck of a big deal.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated <the sooner the better!>

thanks!
**A: did your son know that the mall was private property and that they were trespassing? I gather you do not know what parole is.

dequeendistress

bini said:
Kaysh

Relatively speaking 6 months parole is a slap on the wrist. All the judge basically told these other offenders was "Be good for the next 6 months". If your son as never been in trouble before and is a good kid, then nothing in his life will change. Except for the fact he might have to go to the court house once a month and tell his P.O. hello.

On the other hand, if you expect your son to get into trouble within the next 6 months, he might have a problem if he is sentenced to 6 months parole.

Bini
Are you sure you understand the difference between probation and parole?

B

bini

Dequeendistress

Yes I know what parole it. The original poster was talking about probation. I figured they new what they meant just stated it wrong. So I did not feel the need to correct them.

Bini

Last edited:
B

bini

bini said:
Dequeendistress

parole it.

Bini

That is not what the judge says. It is what the parole board might say, when a criminal comes up for parole.:D

Bini

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">