• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maltese killed by Pit Bull

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

apluvsu

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My neighbor's Pit Bull climbed over my fence and killed my Maltese. Had no witness but another neighbor saw the Pit Bull in my back yard on that day around the time frame that it happened. Told owner what happened and she didn't believe me and continued to let dog roam freely. She admitted to me that she knew the dog was climbing the fence because she could hear the fence clanging. Four days later the PB climbed my fence again and came after me and my 14 year old chichuahua. I took pictures of him trying to get in my back door and I have lots of witnesses. I went to Animal Control and got several papers of complaints filed on the owners of the Pit Bull. I want to stop these people before the dog kills a child and I want the owner to pay for my Maltese. What can I do?

Last edited:

K

krispenstpeter

Unless you have proof that the Pit Bull actually killed your dog there's not much you CAN do. You can file in small claims court for the replacement cost of the dog but it's up to you to prove your case. And frankly, since you have no physical proof, it's your word against hers.

JETX

I disagree with Krispen. With the documented subsequent entry into your yard, you have sufficient evidence to likely win in a small claims action. The problem is you can only recover the cost of the animal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">