Can someone please explain the likely criminal charges in the following situations as I can never understand why some people are charged with manslaughter as opposed to second degree murder (which I'm guessing is unplanned murder). Will the criminal charges for the same incidents and results vary state to state? Assume the police arrive and arrest them at the end of each scenario.
1. 2 People get into a fight. They both have broken bones. Will they be charged with manslaughter or something less like Public disturbance.
2. One person punches another person. THe other person punches back and kills the other person. Is this self defense or manslaughter.
3. One person gets into an argument with another and gives the person a shove. Somehow the person falls backwards, hits his head on concrete and dies which wasn't the intention. Manslaughter, Second degree murder or a lesser charge?
4. Same situation as #3 except one person shoves the other person and the other person shoves him back and the he falls backwards, hits his head and dies. Self defense, Manslaughter or 2nd degree murder.
5. Person fires a gun illegally in their backyard at a stationary paper target, bullet misses the target,somehow continues across the street and kills an innocent person accidently? Illegal possession of a firearm, manslaughter or second degree murder?
Thanks for any answers. If there are some basic rules distinguishing these charges please let me know.