• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maryland Court Case Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

funman79

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I have a letter stating that I need to appear for court in Rockville, MD at the end of February. I recently moved up to CT because of a job opportunity that ultimately fell through. I recently sent a letter to the judge asking permission to reschedule the court date for 1 month to give me ample time to procure the funds needed to pay the court costs of the case since I recently took a position but I won't start for a few weeks.

These are the charges
1) Possession of a suspended license
2) Having a suspended license.
3) Exceeding the speed limit (Labor Day Weekend) for a fine of $90.

I was told that if I don't appear for court a warrant will go out for my arrest and I face potential jail time and fines. Up until this point I've had a flawless record and I'm a veteran with a security clearance so that should illustrate my clean history. Here’s what happened that caused me to have a suspended license.

I received a speeding ticket back in March 2007 and forgot to pay it. Apparently I was supposed to go to court in May 2007, but I did not know that as I was up in CT from April-August and did not receive any letters from my MD address, which was being forwarded to me.

I got pulled over on Labor Day Weekend for speeding and was arrested for possessing a suspended license. That was the quite the shocker! I never received a letter stating my license had been suspended. The post office in its infinite wisdom did not deliver the letter from the DMV and changed my address without my permission instead of cancelling my forwarding mail request. The cop verified this through whatever system he had access to at the police station. I immediately paid the old ticket and got my license reinstated the following week. I only got a receipt saying I paid the court costs and ticket. I travelled down the DMV in Glen Burnie I believe to make sure my license was good to do. She explained to me that the court had already sent over what information they needed to reinstate my license so it was not necessary to come down. I did not ask for any type of record at the time.

I’m strongly debating not showing up for the court date, but I’m concerned about the repercussions. I take full responsibility for what happened for my speeding ticket because I should have not forgotten to pay the picket. However, I’m very angry with the DMV for not making me aware of my suspended license.

If I don’t show up for court what can I expect? I do not have the financial means to travel down to Maryland and would like to know if I have any options. Can I turn myself within the next month and pay whatever additional costs will be incurred if I decide to not show up? Will I be arrested or go to jail at that time or before? Will this information go on my permanent record and if so, can I have it removed at a later date?

I must admit I’m shocked the judge didn’t grant me the extension since now I’m in a precarious position and don’t know what to do as I was quite clear that I have no flexibility or favors to call in. Can I judge not give a reason for turning down my request. I would think that with my background I might have received a small bit of leniency, but apparently I was wrong.

The woman I spoke with at the court today on the phone said that if a warrant goes out for my arrest I will not immediately be arrested and the police will not pick me up here in CT. Furthermore, she said I could turn myself in and plead my case with the Commissioner of Rockville County, MD to not get any jail time. She said I need to show proof that my license has been reinstated. Will the court receipt be sufficient or do I need something else. I have no idea what role a commission plays, nor how accurate that information is so I welcome any feedback about what I've expressed. Thanks.

-J

wayward4now

I'm not a lawyer but I've been there

The State of Maryland has no statute of limitations on "Failure to Appear". When I moved to Texas, there was no reciprocity with Maryland and I too just skated as I could not afford to make the trip. Like you no mail was ever forwarded. 20 years later when I moved to West Virginia, that failure to appear showed up and I was darn near arrested on the spot, but thankfully I had my checkbook on me and I paid the fine. I've never heard any more about it, so paying the fine must have been enough. You may be better served by contacting their DMV, explain your case and ask who to talk to to clear this up. Hopefully you will be connected with the proper authority and be given the chance to pay the fine. Have a notepad handy and record who you talk to and note the date and time for each conversation and briefly what was said. You should eventually get to the Clerk of the Court that you failed to appear in. Money to pay the fines, I hope and pray, will be sufficient for a speeding ticket and the failure to appear. I truly hope that works in your case. Keep your cancelled check with you until you die. :) Ric

funman79

When I moved to Texas, there was no reciprocity with Maryland and I too just skated as I could not afford to make the trip.
What does this quote mean. What type of reciprocity are you referring to so I can research it.

You should eventually get to the Clerk of the Court that you failed to appear in. Money to pay the fines, I hope and pray, will be sufficient for a speeding ticket and the failure to appear. I truly hope that works in your case. Keep your cancelled check with you until you die. :)
I spoke with the Clerk of the Court yesterday and explained things to hear. She told me that even though I cannot afford and manage a trip to Maryland there is no way to reschedule the court date because the judge denied my request and I'll have a bench warrant issued. She also said that I cannot pay the fine over the phone because of the nature of the court case. I asked her if I can pay things over the phone or with a check if I write a letter stating my plea as guilty. No dice with that one. It's a shame that this all resulted from a speeding ticket that cost me $80 or so at the time.

Did you have a bench warrant pulled for your FTA, and if so, was or is it on your permanent record? I'm being seen for possessing a suspended license and not the actual speeding ticket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">