• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Marijuana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gasgirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada
Nevada has recently (sort of) legalized marijuana, and I have been asked to invest in a coffee shop which operates a separate "private club" for authorized persons to consume their own marijuana products. There are also plans for the group of investors to operate, in a separate location, a dispensary.

I understand, that, by federal and (state laws depending how you interpret them), the "coffee shop" can be raided/shut down at any time.

My question is this, as an investor who does not ever set foot in the facility or use it in any way, can I personally be prosecuted? What can I be prosecuted for?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada
Nevada has recently (sort of) legalized marijuana, and I have been asked to invest in a coffee shop which operates a separate "private club" for authorized persons to consume their own marijuana products. There are also plans for the group of investors to operate, in a separate location, a dispensary.

I understand, that, by federal and (state laws depending how you interpret them), the "coffee shop" can be raided/shut down at any time.

My question is this, as an investor who does not ever set foot in the facility or use it in any way, can I personally be prosecuted? What can I be prosecuted for?
**A: the answer is yes. Search aiding and abetting for starters.

The fact is its federally illegal so no one could guarantee you that you couldnt face serious charges like USC 21 sec 846 Conspiracy to Distribute MJ.. I guess you are putting your faith in the OBama memo for what he is worth and also it would be very important for your investors to comply with all state laws.

I would say odds are in your favor, but if you are looking for assurance, there cant be any provided.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">