• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Marijuana and firearms

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yooperfly

I reside in the state of Michigan where medical marijuana is legal. I live in a VERY rural area, in fact at the end of a dead-end gravel road that only has 6 homes on it. A man and his girlfriend have purchased an old trailer just down the road from me and are residing in it. He brags that he has a medical marijuana card and he is also a "care giver" for others. Since they have moved in the traffic on our road has easily grown by about 500%. The local Sheriff's Dept. has been called there at least a couple of times (by the residents themselves). Once due to a domestic dispute where the girlfriend walked out with 50% of the caregivers marijuana plants. The caregiver was arrested because even after half of the plants had been taken by the girlfriend, he was still in possession of over twice the limit that the State of Michigan allows a caregiver to have. The second call was by the caregiver as well due to some other disturbance. This caregiver has firearms in his possession. It is nothing to hear a gun go off 3, 4, or 5 times daily. He says that he's shooting predatory animals that are after his chickens. In fact he called the MSP to make a report that one of our dogs had gotten onto his property and if it happened again he would shoot it. No dog of our had been off our property that day. He has shot 3 of his own cats that he's been bragging about. He shot the neighbor's cat who lives a quarter mile away. To the other side of us we have cows that are pastured by yet another neighbor. This gentleman has taken shots at his cattle dogs. We find it extremely odd that no predators come onto our property. The neighbor on the other side of him also has chickens, and no predators come onto his property. We never hear his chickens making a fuss but we hear gunshots all of the time. We are clueless on where he is aiming. Some of the gunshots are after dark when I know that he can't see these "predators". We do live close enough that if he were aiming our way or any of the neighbor's ways....someone could die. I have done quite a bit of studying on this. Yes, by law he does have the right to protect his livestock from predators (even if it's my miniature dachshund). I have found nothing buy "grey areas" pertaining to medical marijuana users and caregivers possessing firearms. Most everything I have found is from their point of view. What about the rest of us? These gunshots happen at all hours. How are we to know if he is "under the influence" of marijuana at those frequent times that he discharges his weapon? I'm feeling pretty much like a prisoner in my own home. Do we have any recourse anywhere?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">