• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical neglect in the prison system

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
my son is incarcerated in the florida prison system with only about 6 months left in his sentence. about 2 years ago the prison doctor noticed he had TB, but neglected to do anything about it other that noting his record. he is now ready to be released to a work camp for the remainder of his sentence, and the doctor sees the TB in his medical record and no medication has been issued. now they decide to put him on medication and hold up his work release so he can be given the necessary meds. he has been complyant in taking the meds, but my concern is for any future damage that may affect his health because he wasn't given the medication in a timely manor. my other question....is the state of florida liable for this medical neglect?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

First off he needs aggressive treatment for the disease. If he gets cured now, there's not going to be any "future damage." The biggest risk is that he would have gotten severely ill (which apparently didn't happen) or may yet before the course of treatment is completed.

What is scary (and probably how he got infected to begin with) is how someone who is known to have TB manages to wander around in the general prison population infecting others for two years rather than being treated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">