• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan - Business closing was accidently recorded on cell phone voicemail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluefolder

Michigan

I was in a closing of a business transaction (in a room with a few people) and during the conversation I made a telephone call to ask someone a question but received their voicemail. Apparently my phone never hung up and now this person had a recording of everything that was said during the closing. Is it legal for he/she to distribute the recording? Do I have any legal remedy to tell he/she the conversation was private and it was not intended for him to listen to it therefore he/she must destroy it?

seniorjudge

Do I have any legal remedy to tell he/she the conversation was private and it was not intended for him to listen to it therefore he/she must destroy it?

Can you please be politically correct? Your question is offensive but I will reword it and answer it anyway.

Q: Do I have any legal remedy to tell he/she/it the conversation was private and it was not intended for him to listen to it therefore he/she/it must destroy it?

A: Yes.

bluefolder

I assume you are joking with me about my post being offensive. Either that or I missed something?

Can you elaborate on your answer as it pertains to my legal options/rights?

seniorjudge

I assume you are joking with me about my post being offensive. Either that or I missed something?

Can you elaborate on your answer as it pertains to my legal options/rights?
You: Hey, you know that voicemail that you got?

He/she/it: Yeah.

You: Delete it.

He/she/it: Okay.

bluefolder

At this point there are no damages. If I have the legal right to tell him to destroy the recording then I wish to do so (I simply wish to know if I have legal grounds to do so). If he is potentially liable for damages as a result of sharing the recording I also want to let him know that.

There is a risk in approaching him about deleting it in that it could spur further interest on his part as to what he captured in the conversation. I don’t want to rock the boat unless I am standing on a firm legal ground in my request.

bluefolder

Ok, that contradics what seniorjudge said:

Q: Do I have any legal remedy to tell he/she/it the conversation was private and it was not intended for him to listen to it therefore he/she/it must destroy it?

Thus far no one has really answered what I've been asking. I guess I'll contact a local attorney. You get what you pay for and free is what I expcted it to be...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ok, that contradics what seniorjudge said:

It's not a contradiction...just a different viewpoint on how to answer your question. In either case, you would end up with the same result ;)

las365

Oh for pete's sake. You are allegedly a businessman? Let me break it down for you.

Yes, you can legally tell him that and ask him that. However, if he will not voluntarily comply, you cannot force him to without getting an Order from a Court. Without knowing what was recorded, no one here can tell you what legal grounds you might have to obtain such an Order, if any.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">