• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mike101 and victimless crime

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gtolady

What is the name of your state? ca

Well I'm sorry but I just couldn't resist...

Hey Mike101 where have you been living the last couple of decades? Your statement,
"As for victimless crime. If an officer doesn't have a victim he is not going to look twice at the case. I don't know of anyone who has ever spent more than 5 minutes on a "victimless crime". No harm no foul. That is just the way it is. Right or wrong. "

Come on, you can't think of anyone?!? Really? How about all the hundreds of thousands of people doing time for possession of a controlled substance? Or under the influence? Surely you've heard of at least a couple of them? Surely.

TYRIS

gtolady said:
What is the name of your state? ca

Well I'm sorry but I just couldn't resist...

Hey Mike101 where have you been living the last couple of decades? Your statement,
"As for victimless crime. If an officer doesn't have a victim he is not going to look twice at the case. I don't know of anyone who has ever spent more than 5 minutes on a "victimless crime". No harm no foul. That is just the way it is. Right or wrong. "

Come on, you can't think of anyone?!? Really? How about all the hundreds of thousands of people doing time for possession of a controlled substance? Or under the influence? Surely you've heard of at least a couple of them? Surely.

-actually, those are "crimes against the state", where the state is the victim. it was a valiant effort though.

Tyris

Beth3

Actually, all violations of criminal statutes are crimes against the state, which is why the State prosecutes a murder (for example), rather than the murder victims' family having to do so.

Nice try though.

TYRIS

Beth3 said:
Actually, all violations of criminal statutes are crimes against the state, which is why the State prosecutes a murder (for example), rather than the murder victims' family having to do so.

Nice try though.

-actually, the victim of a murder is the murdered person and is considered a "crime against the people". but you are right that the state prosecutes the suspect for the victim.

Tyris

M

Mike101

If someone isn't going to call and complain... mainly a victim then it isn't going to get more than 5 minutes. I see that everyday. I have also been a police officer for 12 years the last 5 in North Carolina. Moved from New York and have worked at 3 different departments. It has been the same at all three.
Possession or under the influence?? That is an officers arrest. He is the witness and he has an interest in it.
Any other cops on here? How much time would you put into this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">